Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Article - Educating Parents about games.

Options
  • 10-12-2004 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

The BBC has an article on this here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4087079.stm.

As it says: "Ways of ensuring that parents know which video games are suitable for children are to be considered by the games industry."

As an article it's OK. It mentions the Manhunt controversy, but only briefly.

It sounds like a good idea, and a change from the "Ban em all!!1!" brigade.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's based on today's meeting between UK Government and the UK games industry, it pretty much resulted in the conclusion that parents are ignorant* of the fact all games are not suitable for children [or they couldn’t give a toss, or they don’t under stand what 18 + means].

The meeting happened because of this...
    18-rated games are for adults shocker

It didn't take long for this to spring up again. The government has decided that it is unclear videogame ratings on the packaging, and not ill-informed parents, who are responsible for children playing violent games. To be honest this is getting tedious. The ratings on game boxes seem clear enough to me, but it is obvious that some parents need educating. After all, the general consensus is still that games are relatively harmless - Mario and Lara, with a bit of Pac-Man for afters. And anyway, surely the box cover art of games like the Getaway and GTA: San Andreas hints that their content may be less than fluffy. Chances are the Daily Mail et al will be all over this in the next few days. Yippee.

- The Guardian's Gamesblog

* ‘lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Didn't know about that GameBlog. Looks good. Added to my LiveBookmarks. Thank's monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Inspite of the government nannystating - most of the media actually seems to be acting fairly responsibly for once and putting the blame where it lies - firmly on the parents. Even sky had some non hysterical reasoned coverage from a fairly respected IT Journalist (barry fox) :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Syth wrote:
    Didn't know about that GameBlog. Looks good. Added to my LiveBookmarks. Thank's monument

It’s been running a few months now, was so impressed with first few blogs I even wrote about it (here).

Advertisement