Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being owed money

• 10-12-2004 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

What can one do if people owe him money? Friends who I don't want to get on the bad side of but I want my money and when they just don't pay it, it's really annoying. Is the law able to help in such a situation? Any suggestions welcome:) Nothing ridiculous like beat them up or steal their tv or anything. Practical, sensible methods please.

One guy owes me about 140, the other 250 and the other 240 (he paid 100 off already)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Being owen money
    I thought this was like Being John Malkovich...

If they're your mates you should just ask them... if they're good mates they won't be pissed off and they'll pay ya.

Usually if it's a small amount of money (say a tenner or less) I'd let it go and just assume they'll give me some spare change if I need it.

I assume you're talking about something more substantial than a tenner though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I though this was going to be the life story of Owen Money

EDIT:
    SteveD wrote:
    I thought this was like Being John Malkovich...

Lol, I actually had the same thing typed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Oh also if they are your mates and you don't want to get on the bad side of them I don't think getting the law onto them is a great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 unknownguest

fixed title, no more owen money stories;) but yeah, 140, 250 and 240 from 3 diff people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Is the law able to help in such a situation?

Without getting on their bad side? I seriously doubt it, the law isn't known for its subtlety :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if they really are friends this should not be an issue, if it is then they are just a bunch of assholes.....I think thats the first thing you need to figure out....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

That's a substantial amount of moula !!.

I'd just put my foot down with them and ask straight out for the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

You don't have to be a bollóx about it either. Say something like, "lads, money is running really tight at the moment any chance of the xxxx you owe me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

1.if it is not too much, forget it! if they ever ask you again, tell them to return the the previous dept first!

2. if someone asks you to lend them money, give it to them and say "it's yours, I'm just giving it to you", they will never ask again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

In the short term, ask for it. If they don't pay you what they owe, drop them as friends; no friend exploits a friend.

In the long term, don't lend money. If someone asks you, say: "Sorry, every penny I have is committed right now," and change the subject.

This borrowing and lending business is a matter of youth. As people get older and have work, they don't need to borrow money from each other.

That said, I once pursued someone for two years for £1,000 he owed me for work. Eventually got it, in a series of post-dated cheques, which I presented one by one to his bank, which had issued them, as they came due. Never had such satisfaction in my life.

(I wouldn't have pursued him except that I knew he'd treated a load of other people in the same way.)

Advertisement