Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garden state has been delayed :(

• 10-12-2004 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

no sign of it anywhere, other than a tiny notice in ugc, noting that its been delayed. its dissapointing because ive been really wanting to see it :( (even more so than napoleon dynamite, which also looks good) im presuming that they increased the number of screens it is showing on in the uk(where it opened today) anybody have any idea on a new release date ?, hoping its sometime soon!

also got more or less official confirmation today that shaolin soccer is being released on the 26th december(finally!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Aww boo I was hoping to see GS soon its had some cracking reviews.

Still you can get it on R1 DVD on the 28th of this month - playusa here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

yup thats what i will be doing also,looks like an impressive dvd too(almost identical to the r1 release of Donnie Darko in terms of extras)
    im still hoping it'll get a theatrical before then though, hopefully!

oh and playusa are a ripoff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It's being released in January (18 cert)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

iMax wrote:
    It's being released in January (18 cert)

wth? 18 cert, thats rediculous..
    anyway, very good movie.. youd probably be faster ordering dvd from the states if its out there.

the 18's cert does seem a bit extreme,
    here's the rating breakdown from the ifco http://www.ifco.ie/ifco/ifcoweb.nsf/SearchViewFilm/23637E1D805F002E80256F5E005A2858?OpenDocument&OpenUp=True
    i'll be pickingup the dvd most likely, just really wanted to see it on the big screen first is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

herobear wrote:
    also got more or less official confirmation today that shaolin soccer is being released on the 26th december(finally!)
    Sweet. I'll be going to both House Of Flying Daggars and Shaolin Soccer in one day. **** going to see relatives, I've got films to watch!

P.S. Napoleon Dynamite looks good. I'll be going on Sunday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Don't forget the certs are changing in January so it may get a 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shame GS has been delayed... it's a brillant film!

I'm suprised 'bout the 18's cert - i'd blame it on a short but somewhat explicit sex scene.

Napolean Dynamite is brillant too - i'd really recommend it!

Got some great lines you can quote for years to come, such as
    "do the chickens have large talons?!"
    and
    "it took me 3 hours to get the upper shading on your lip just right

:)

I've mentioned both films in the Boards.ie Film Awards - 'Garden State' for a couple of awards and Napolean Dynamite for 'Best Character' (well deserved!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Yep, Garden State is a great film. Can't wait to see it again when it opens here. Read what one guy said on IMDB about it:
    Zach Braff's "Garden State" manages to accomplish something that very few films have been able to do throughout the history of cinema. It is a film that speaks to an entire generation. 1947's "The Best Years of Our Lives" spoke to our grandparents. "The Graduate" spoke to our parents. "Fight Club" spoke to our older brothers working dead-end jobs in the 90's. But it is with the arrival of "Garden State" that our generation is spoken to, those of us born in the early-mid 80's who are in our late teens and early twenties trying to make it by in a environment that seems all at once to strange and yet so familiar.

Homecoming is the theme of Garden State. Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff)) has been away from his hometown of New Jersey for the past nine years and returns to attend the funeral for his mother. While having been gone, Andrew has been on lithium and other forms of anti-depressant medication all prescribed to him by his psychiatrist father Gideon (Ian Holm). Upon his homecoming Andrew has decided to take a vacation from his medication and take some time to re-connect with himself. From there the plot grows as he connects with old friends and makes new ones and discovers the joys of life and love mostly thanks to the arrival of free-spirited Sam (Natalie Portman).

Braff has written and directed scenes that qualify to go down in the movie history books along such moments as Pulp Fiction's dance sequence, and The Deer Hunter's Russian roulette scenes. Two of said scenes that come to mind are when Sam takes Andrew up to her room for the first time and does something "totally original that has never been done before in this location and will never be copied again throughout the rest of human existence," in order to ease the pain of an awkward situation. Another scene occurs late in the film when the three principals stand at the edge of a seemingly endless abyss and scream at the tops of their lungs into the gorge. It is this moment that defines, with one pure act, the epitome of what it feels to be in your late teens, early 20's looking out at life. Standing at the edge of life and screaming.

While all the acting is noteworthy, including a hilarious cameo by Method Man (yes, that's right Method Man), it is Natalie Portman who steals the show. Sam is in essence the adult version of her character from Beautiful Girls. She's 26, but an old soul. It his in her that the movie comes out the realm of quirky off-kilter comedy and gains heart, soul, and intimacy all to rare to achieve in films these days. Bravo Ms. Portman. In addition, Peter Sarsgaard is becoming one of my new favorite actors, after having seen him in this film, Shattared Glass, and Boys Don't Cry within a matter of approximately three weeks.

I will go on record an call Garden State a masterpiece. It does exactly what films are supposed to do, take from all areas of art and incorporate them into one. It is a passionate mixture of visual flare, tremendous dialogue, hip music, and heart-warming pathos. I encourage anyone who is young to see this film. See it with the people you care about, this is your film, this is OUR film, and it couldn't be better.

The music is very nice - look out for a song called Let Go by Frou Frou. If the movie gets noticed here, that tune's going to be all over the radio.

i have that song on my iriver! definitely my most played song right now, superb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Saw this about 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed it - well worth the 11 quid. Braff is right, the teen years have puberty of the body, the twenties have puberty of the mind :)

Garden State is tremendously honest and very thought invoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

basquille wrote:

I'm suprised 'bout the 18's cert - i'd blame it on a short but somewhat explicit sex scene.

? I just watched it. I can't recall it. Maybe it wasn't in my copy.

EDIT: Ah, the hotel one. Pity it got 18 for that.

Great bloody movie though. Great acting, great script. A movie that can actually empower you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, the hotel one. Not exactly a prime example of an explicit scene but given the rough nature of it as well as the
    voyeurism
    , i'm not really too suprised about the 18's cert.

Definitely one of the best films of last year though!

just a small update, according to the irish times the ticket
    garden state has been pushed back to march :(
    my advice: just get the r1 dvd, its out now!
    thats what i'll be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Garden State is a great film, although I really don't think it merits an 18 Cert, there have been far worse films released this year which have not received 18s Certs. The Sex Scene is very brief, although I guess the IPCO are being harsh on drugs related content atm so that might explain it.
    Napoleon Dynamite is also great, hilarious film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Is this definitely delayed til march? Seems like a farce. If it is guess i'll have to buy the R1 DVD. I'd rather see it in the cinema.

Advertisement