Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coupla SE v800 and general voda 3g qns

Options
  • 11-12-2004 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinkin of treatin myself to a v800 for chrimbo, however a few things concern me

1) will it work with a 2g sim?

2) as i presume its gonna be a voda 3g launch is it gonna be dirt cheap after christmas? ill have to pay circa 420 to get it now? and im due an upgrade in feb?

3) anyone got one? whats it like, is it as good as it looks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

1) It should do

2) Doubt it will drop too much. Will only go so low before its replaced by a diff model

3) TCP/IP has one. I was playing wth one again, its a sexy phone, bit enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'm thinking of getting it on ebay though. I'll just save my upgrade for later. Looks really good in my opinion. Will be the first non-Nokia I've ever bought :)

I doubt the price will drop too much unless you're going to wait a year :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

well good morning people, yes my V800 arrived and thursday was spent setting it up, mine was locked to vodafone uk so an irish vodafone sim would not work, had to ring vodafone uk and get it unlocked took about 5 calls to them eventually got it done. Then i went to the sony website and sent the sms and mms settings to the phone and that worked perfect finally i needed to get vodafone live working and with the help of people from boards (thanks lads you know who u are) i got live working but the only problem is that when i try and download a video it gives me a "address invalid please retype" error so i can not download any videos, i can use all the rest of vodafone live i can download ringtones but no videos - if anybody can help me there is an xmas present for them. The fone itself is great i really like it, when i get it fully working i will write a little review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

TCP/IP wrote:
    well good morning people, yes my V800 arrived and thursday was spent setting it up, mine was locked to vodafone uk so an irish vodafone sim would not work, had to ring vodafone uk and get it unlocked took about 5 calls to them eventually got it done. Then i went to the sony website and sent the sms and mms settings to the phone and that worked perfect finally i needed to get vodafone live working and with the help of people from boards (thanks lads you know who u are) i got live working but the only problem is that when i try and download a video it gives me a "address invalid please retype" error so i can not download any videos, i can use all the rest of vodafone live i can download ringtones but no videos - if anybody can help me there is an xmas present for them. The fone itself is great i really like it, when i get it fully working i will write a little review
    Hmm dunno but there was some problems with the V980 doing downloads also ...
    this was the fix for the v980 :
    Scroll to the “Vodafone Live”, “Internet Profiles”, “Vodafone Live”, select the menu button and “Edit”, change “Server Type 1” to HTTP and “Port 1” to 80.

Dunno if that is any help .. but maybe worth a try ?

TCP/IP wrote:

So there was no problem to get Voda UK to unlock the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone know when the V800 is available on Vodafone? Had a SE rep in the shop the other day showing us the phones and its v nice. I forgot to ask him though.

**Edit** just looking at the SE site and it says it has 7mb of memory, this right? thats crap. might have to rethink the purchase, v dissapointing. I got the K700 the other day and that has 41MB.

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyone know when the V800 is available on Vodafone? Had a SE rep in the shop the other day showing us the phones and its v nice. I forgot to ask him though.

**Edit** just looking at the SE site and it says it has 7mb of memory, this right? thats crap. might have to rethink the purchase, v dissapointing. I got the K700 the other day and that has 41MB.

I think its coming out sometime next year. Not sure when though. Speaking to a customer service about it, apparently they are still testing on the V800.
    Yeah its only 7MB, originally it was only 4MB I think.

V10 you are a genius i can now confirm that all the features of the phone works a treat, this is a really good phone and i can highly recommend it. But the screen and camera are on par with the Sharp GX30 so i reckon the new Sharp 3G phone will blow everthing away but this will so keep me going till then.

In relation to unlocking the phone i got passed from billy to jack to get the phone unlocked, you may have to pay £25 sterling to vodafone to get this done but i complained about all the hassle and they did it for free

How did they unlocked it? By giving you a code or something?

to unlock the phone i gave them the imei of the phone and they gave me an unlock code very simple.

As for the phones memory but it has a memory card slot so memory is not really an issue. The reason the K700 had 43mb was it had no memory card slot

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote:
    to unlock the phone i gave them the imei of the phone and they gave me an unlock code very simple.

As for the phones memory but it has a memory card slot so memory is not really an issue. The reason the K700 had 43mb was it had no memory card slot

Aah didnt realise it has amemory slot, problem solved. I assume its a memory stick duo? any chance that its pro cmpatible, spose not? think i vaugly remember asking the guy bout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Stekelly wrote:
    any chance that its pro cmpatible, spose not?

Dubwireless is selling a PRO one and he is selling it as suitable for a v800, so I reckon it must work with it. He has probably done his homework on it......

Hold on.....
    Knowing Brian, he HAS done his homework on it.....

It's HERE!

thats REALLY handy cos I was eyeing a 512mb in the sony centre for €99, mmm the possibillities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

:D

just checking the site and it doesnt mention anything bout it being pro compatible. They're usuallyy v specific bout these things.

Connectivity
    UMTS
    Memory Stick Duo™
    Infrared port
    GPRS
    USB support
    RS232 cable support
    Synchronisation PC
    Bluetooth™ wireless technology

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, yeah some confusion has been caused by some of the specs and product imagery that's been output, with some imagery provided for media displaying only 'Memory Stick Duo' printed on the handset, but hands-on reviews are showing 'Memory Stick PRO Duo'...

e.g.
    Image with Pro Duo (source 3G.co.uk Review)
    Image with Duo (source Voda Media Kit)

but it's a Pro Duo, the tech docs and spec on the developers site detail Pro Duo... plus it's outlined in the SE V800 Press Release, and on the Memory Stick site

Dammit i want one NOW!!!!!!!!!

Stekelly wrote:
    Dammit i want one NOW!!!!!!!!!

That makes two of us :D Damn VF Eire for not having it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

TCP/IP wrote:

I've just ordered one from ebay also, and it's locked to voda UK. Did you tell them that you were in Ireland when you phoned them? What number did you call?

Have you used the modem feature? I'm interested to hear what the DL speed in like.

Ro

Stekelly wrote:
    just checking the site and it doesnt mention anything bout it being pro compatible.

Was surfing their site and found that they do support pro

Link

• Advertisement

I got the number for Vodafone UK customer care from Vodafone Ireland and told them that i was in Ireland and bought the phone off ebay and that i wanted it unlocked they might get you to pay £25 sterling so dont be alarmed if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Could you post the number here please TCP (or else pm it)? Getting one in myself and would like to be prepared to get it going asap after it arrives! :)

Thanks

sorry mate i left it in work and i am finished till after xmas if u ring vodafone ireland they will give it to you

Got mine on ebay yesterday. Hoping to get it before Christmas :D

Pretty cool phone!

Just rang vodafone UK, and they unlocked it for nowt!

I phoned 00 44 8700 700 191, didn't enter my mobile number, didn't press #, waited until the menu moved along, and picked the options for a vodafone customer enquiring about 3g services (this will make sense if you call the number). I got talking to a very helpful lady, told her that I was a vodafone ireland customer (although I'm still with o2 in the process of moving), gave her the IMEI, and she unlocked the phone for me. Very straightforward.

It's a pretty cool phone, and not as big as I expected. Its about the size of the z600, a bit longer, but thinner. The screen and camera seem pretty cool, but I have not yet tried out the 3G stuff, as still waiting to get connected to Vodafone.

Ro

Just received my v800 there around an hour ago! Lovely phone, very pleased so far - currently setting it all up and have to copy all my contacts across. Also have to obtain a 3g sim card the next time I'm near a phone shop.
    As for unlocking, was a bit tricky, followed the approach ro-76 recommended, and got put onto a guy who was more than happy to unlock it for £19 - which I would have paid but aparrantly the only way he could charge it was to a vodafone uk account - no credit cards, etc. I persisted a bit and then he went off to speak to a supervisor and then came back to tell me to ring Vodafone Ireland as they'd have access to the same systems...I didnt really beleive this and queried him on it a few times but he insisted they could do it, so off I went and rang vodafone ie, and as expected they couldnt do it. So, I rang back vodafone uk, call answered by a different person, so I decided not to say a word about my earlier conversation, and just started again by saying I was a vodafone ie customer who wanted to use his sim in a vodafone uk locked phone. He went off for a minute (leaving me fearing the worst), but then came back, took the IMEI and gave me the unlock code for free, no questions asked! :D

Anyway, back to getting all this set up...
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

can some one post some pics of the phone - to get an idea of size

Seems as if my phone has a habit of trying to connect to a 3g network whenever it hears one. I get 'No Network Access' whenever its within range of one, and the only solution is to manually select the voda 2g network, which works till it decides it likes the look of the 3g network and tries to connect again. The manual mentions switching off the 3g radio in the phone but the option doesnt seem to exist. Anyone know if this is a sign that my sim is actually a 3g sim and it should just be a matter of ringing customer services to get 3g enabled on my account, or do I specifically need a '3g sim'? I ask, as my current sim is just 2 weeks old though I didnt specifically ask for a 3g one at the time (was porting back to vodafone from o2).

TCP/IP wrote:

I've just got my v800 and 3G sim, but I cannot get vodafone live working. Is there any possibility that you could post the settings. The settings on the SE website seem to be just for GPRS, not 3G.

Thanks

• Advertisement

bkehoe wrote:
    Seems as if my phone has a habit of trying to connect to a 3g network whenever it hears one. I get 'No Network Access' whenever its within range of one, and the only solution is to manually select the voda 2g network, which works till it decides it likes the look of the 3g network and tries to connect again. The manual mentions switching off the 3g radio in the phone but the option doesnt seem to exist. Anyone know if this is a sign that my sim is actually a 3g sim and it should just be a matter of ringing customer services to get 3g enabled on my account, or do I specifically need a '3g sim'? I ask, as my current sim is just 2 weeks old though I didnt specifically ask for a 3g one at the time (was porting back to vodafone from o2).

I had the same problem. You need a 3G sim. I got mine in the Voda shop on Henry St, took 30 seconds for the guy to setup the new sim.

Advertisement