Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Rabbitte links to paramilitarism?

Options
  • 11-12-2004 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Gerry Adams was asked last night on the Late Late Show by Pat Kenny what becomes of members of the IRA when they are officially retired (or something to that effect).

Adams answered (or words to this effect): "What became of Eamon De Valera, Sean Lemass (names a couple more historical figures), what did Pat Rabitte do - you can ask him that"

I'm not familiar with Rabitte's past (other than he used to be a member of DL). Is it common knowledge that he had paramilitary links in his past??

Excuse me if this is common knowledge...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didi'nt see the interview. I have never heard it even suggested in a very subtle way that Rabitte has had IRA connections though he was in the old Workers Party which started life as Offical Sinn Fein then Sinn Fein the Workers Party. Anyway its a bit of a leap if Adams suggested that as a link to terrorism. He did'nt mean Proinsias De Rossa?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

No he definately meant Rabitte - he said it with the tone and expression of someone who's dropping a bombshell (excuse the pun). There was a pause for about 1-2 seconds after it was said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Didi'nt see the interview. I have never heard it even suggested in a very subtle way that Rabitte has had IRA connections though he was in the old Workers Party which started life as Offical Sinn Fein then Sinn Fein the Workers Party. Anyway its a bit of a leap if Adams suggested that as a link to terrorism.

Mike.

Actually you may be right - I think he said "ask Pat Rabitte" rather than "what did Pat Rabitte do - you can ask him that". This would make sense and would probably be referring to what you posted.

But it's still interesting - bound to be some media coverage tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would imagine that Pat Rabbitte is the most high profile member of the political establishment who has intimate knowledge on the subject of 'what happens to former paramilitary figures who move into politics'. I would imagine that Gerry Adams was referring to that angle rather than accusing Rabbitte of being a former paramiltary figure who moved into politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 poneill

I would imagine that Pat Rabbitte is the most high profile member of the political establishment who has intimate knowledge on the subject of 'what happens to former paramilitary figures who move into politics'.
    Pat spent 20 years as a member of the Political wing of the Official IRA, Sinn Féin the workers Party aka the schtacks.
    I would imagine that Gerry Adams was referring to that angle rather than accusing Rabbitte of being a former paramiltary figure who moved into politics.
    Pat , and others, founded Democratic Left after 20 years in the Political wing . The reluctance of the Official IRA to disarm was part of the reason why Pat and others left them. The fact that nobody would ever allow the Officials into government in the absence of verifiable disarmament helped to focus Pats mind too .

The Officials have never contacted de Chastelain ,to clear 'things' up.

There is no evidence that Pat ever had any part in ANY military activities but there is no evidence of him unequivocally condemning military activities during his 20 year sejourn either. The same can be said for numerous other politicians and commentators who would have spent time in Official Sinn Féin while Pat was a member.

We should (re)name that party Sinn Féin the Non Decommissioning Party for claritys sake.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement