Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that's what I call an air rifle range!

Options
  • 11-12-2004 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, for the money to build one of these...
    And that's just for the Junior ROTC in the states, at that.

6.jpg

And it's not just for normal ISSF air rifle, but for three-position air rifle as well (think of the ISSF 3x40 event, but shot with air rifles), because they mounted the targets on powered elevators with a switch at the firing point so you can set it up for whatever position without having to stop the other 17 people from training.

4.jpg

And even for the spectators, who can watch from outside the window (and thus are safe from any accidental discharges), there's a monitor to watch little Jimmy's score coming up on the target. See, that is how to get people interested...

5.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I think the only appropriate comment would be ....WOW.! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Oh, for the money to build one of And it's not just for normal ISSF air rifle, but for three-position air rifle as well (think of the ISSF 3x40 event, but shot with air rifles), because they mounted the targets on powered elevators with a switch at the firing point so you can set it up for whatever position without having to stop the other 17 people from training.

Exactly what I was saying last Sunday, move the targets, not the competitor. I hadn't thought of motorising the targets though... Now Sparks, start designing the electronics. Bear in mind that you will need to do the same with 50m, targets :)
    And I note that it's Spieth targets they're using as well.
    And even for the spectators, who can watch from outside the window (and thus are safe from any accidental discharges), there's a monitor to watch little Jimmy's score coming up on the target. See, that is how to get people interested...

I thought of that too......

Though if you're not safe behind the firing line... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It’s pretty spectacular, isn’t it?

There appear to be a few knowledgeable people from the target world here; would any of you care to hazard a guess on what a setup like that might cost, assuming a Club already had the premises???

Check out these guys-
    http://www.members.cox.net/azjrhp/azjrhp.htm
    We had table-tennis in our school :(

Anyone know of any disused railway tunnels anywhere in Ireland?-
    http://www.bangorrifleclub.org/aboutx.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote:
    Exactly what I was saying last Sunday, move the targets, not the competitor. I hadn't thought of motorising the targets though... Now Sparks, start designing the electronics. Bear in mind that you will need to do the same with 50m, targets :)
    *hehe*
    Actually, the electronics aren't the problem, there's a half-dozen circuits you could use depending on how you want to control the setup - it's the mechanical fabrication and the integration that you'd find tough.
    And for 50m it's not an issue - you're far enough away that you don't really notice the difference in angles for the different positions.
    And I note that it's Spieth targets they're using as well.
    They the ones that you're hoping for in the new range?
    I thought of that too......
    Though if you're not safe behind the firing line... :p
    *lol*
    True, but for competitions it's obviously a big thing.
    Rovi wrote:
    There appear to be a few knowledgeable people from the target world here; would any of you care to hazard a guess on what a setup like that might cost, assuming a Club already had the premises???
    Saw a quote for a different crowd doing standard electronic targets recently - no motorised elevators for the target plates that is. Came to £2050 sterling + VAT per lane, with another £1650 + VAT on top of that for the overall computer control stuff, plus delivery from Norway (so basicly, €6270 for the first lane and €3475 for each lane afterwards plus delivery). But since those targets in the Enterprise school had the powered elevators, it's bound to cost more.
    Check out these guys-
    http://www.members.cox.net/azjrhp/azjrhp.htm
    We had table-tennis in our school

Eep! You'd want to be on your game as a Range Officer there! (I'm more used to kids that age having air rifles and single-shot smallbores :D )

Advertisement