Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing goods from non eu countries

Options
  • 11-12-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi their i'm looking to start a small buisness and i'm wondering could somone help me in the following .

How would i go about importing goods to be sold here in ireland from abroad(non-eu )?

The goods would contain alcohol,food, toys etc.

I would be very greatfull for any help.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't help you on mechanics of it but do suggest in your research that you go www.revenue.ie and read up on VAT and excise information there. You will probably need to know about it. Revenue will also send you a complete VAT guide if you call them. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Hi their.

Thanks for your help.

In genearal is it very hard to import goods like these as my buisness is going to be really small and has little funds.
    Thank you.

Have you any advice on this matter?
    Or experiences.

No experience unfortunately, most of my knowledge is from research I did on an business idea, but it didn't involve import. Only thing I did realise is that you need to be looking at probably 1 year plus before you start to make money.
    Have a look at this site. I found it useful. You may get some contacts and info there.

http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/assistance.htm

I am sure there are other people on forums who are better qualified to offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

I'm sure my buisness will take off.
    But i suppose thats what they all say.

Thanks alot again.
    www.revenue.ie is a huge site.
    I'll be their many hours.
    Cya

moneymad wrote:
    I'm sure my buisness will take off.
    But i suppose thats what they all say.

Thanks alot again.
    www.revenue.ie is a huge site.
    I'll be their many hours.
    Cya

There is a link for Business down the left side

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Far as I know Vat and duty must be at point of entry, ie up front. So if youre cash strapped bear that in mind, no 30 day credit from Mr Collector General!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KatieK wrote:
    Far as I know Vat and duty must be at point of entry, ie up front. So if youre cash strapped bear that in mind, no 30 day credit from Mr Collector General!
    You can use bonded warehouses for the booze and you can average 30 days credit because most taxes are only collected every two months (I don't know if this applies to excise duty).

moneymad (unfortunate name), with food and drink you probably need product liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

All of what Victor says is right. You have to pay a fee for the bonded warehouse as well of course. I think excise duty is due on landing, or as soon as you take it out of the bond.

Duty and VAT is a very large component of the retail price of booze products.

If the goods are coming from outside the EU, you will probably need to become familiar with food regulations and labelling regulations. I suppose the Food Safety Authority could help you with this, I don't know an awful lot about it myself.

Managing the stock and cashflow is critical in this sort of business.

Advertisement