Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Developer's Cut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I'm sorry, was that a review or a promo? It read like an advert for the game! But the commentary is something I would like to see in future (except when the developers start telling annoying jokes that only THEY could get).

I completed it on seXbox and I liked it. The graphics are probably the best I've played... only MGS2 comes close (from what I'VE played). It had it's great moments and it's not so great moments. But when the game quality dipped, it gave me time to admire the graphics instead. It's kinda short, but I guess I don't like my games too long. I'm playing GTA:SA right now and it seems to go on and on and on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was good, very good, but after such a brilliant opening it dipped towards the end and isn't something I'd play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

most overrated game of the year.

nice graphics, nice gameplay mechanics but let badly down by attrocious voice acting, nonsensical plot and terminally poor level design. it had so much potential but all aspects of the game design were strangled by the sheer stupidity of the plot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well at least it was better than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DiscoStu wrote:
    most overrated game of the year.

nice graphics, nice gameplay mechanics but let badly down by attrocious voice acting, nonsensical plot and terminally poor level design. it had so much potential but all aspects of the game design were strangled by the sheer stupidity of the plot.

Considering the reviews the Xbox and now PC version got, I would guess you a) are being too harsh or b) dont have a clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Considering the reviews the Xbox and now PC version got, I would guess you a) are being too harsh or b) dont have a clue what you are talking about.

since i played, finished and traded the fecker in months ago its not all that fresh in my head so i shall recycle what i wrote a while back about it.

"Don't get me wrong, its a good game and is far superior to _all_ the film licensed dross that has been released in recent years. I just think it fails in key areas and no amount of eye candy, satisfyingly brutal neck snaps, shotgun reversals and glorified nightvision goggles can save.

The complete lack of logic to the plot and handling of Riddick by the prison security drove me up the wall. As the game progresses the plot cohesion dissolves almost entirely and leads to frankly the most absurd ending in a game I have ever seen.

The cigarette packet collection thing also served to kill any suspension of disbelief. The packets were too closely spaced and in effect you are constantly refered to "outside the game world". Not a good idea if this game is supposed to be exploring the mythology surrounding the Riddick character.

While the levels were aesthetically pleasing they were poor from a design point of view. The reliance on air-vents seemed like a symptom of the problems with the overall plot. Since the developers couldnt logically get Riddick from point a to point B the "air-vent get out clause" had to be invoked.

Finally, Vin Diesel. Love him or loath him he was good in Pitch Black as Riddick. There were traces of the sheer barbarisim of the character in every line he spoke and he genuily came across as someone who would happily rip your head off and **** down your neck. Where was small hint of acting ability while he recorded the voice overs for the game? Each line delivered was flat and as emotionless as the cardboard cutouts of himself that are currently populating our local cinemas.

While the majority of the gameplay mechanics are spot on and the production values are huge in my opinion Riddick is not worth a 9.
    A high 7 would be my rating."

Now, care to discuss instead of childish name calling?

name calling ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57408

Eurogamer review agrees with gamespot

I thought it was a brilliant game. Easily one of the best FPS I have ever played. Id even go so far as to call it the best console based FPS ever released.
    One of the true classics of modern gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57408

Eurogamer review agrees with gamespot

And of course reviews override personal opinion ;).

Personally I thought it was great but calling someone else deluded because they don't agree with the majority of opinion (and in this case mainly yours) is a wee bit st00pid. While I don't agree with him at least the lad did spend some time making his point logically.

• Advertisement

I suggested he was being harsh or didn't know what he was talking about..

I didn't say he couldn't state his own opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

Yes yes indeed, the vent systems. how absurd an idea to implement a vent system into a sneak-em-up-and-snap-their-necks game! what a cop out on the developers side. jeesus christ, why couldn't they have just had straight lines from a to b? maybe disco stu would have prefered the symmetric, drole, continuously repetative level spaces of Halo or Halo 2 (yawn).
    what a sensless, sensless criticism...

great game, great atmosphere. loved it and played through 3 times over.

Advertisement