Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a white kitten

• 11-12-2004 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Does anyone know where I could get a white kitten. I've tried the rescue centres but there seem to be none around. (the reason i'm looking for a white one is its a gift for someone who lost a white cat- i'm not discriminating-honest)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then it doesn't need to be a white kitten does it? Rescue a kitten. Potentially an "indentical" kitten will remind the person of loss rather than have a successful result from new puppy syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ekelly

It wasn't so much as lost as taken by the neighbours down the road who thought it was a stray. My mother didn't have the heart to claim it back. I'm not a kitten snob but she is! I know it sounds awful but i'd like to see if I could get a white one before any other colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

every white cat iv ever taken in has had a major attitude problem lol always struck me as weird.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bleach or Daz should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Just to warn you-white cats have a tendency to be deaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ekelly

Well, we had a one eyed dog before so a deaf cat might be OK! But if anyone knows of any kittens (white or other) that need a home they can get in touch. Amazingly, my mother has had a notice up for a couple of months but there seem to be none around her town at present. Maybe people are seeing sense and getting cats spayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Go to your local vet. The vet will ask you to pay for the kitten's vaccinations and spaying before you get it - and proper order, too. This is usually the best way to get a cat. You know where it's coming from, and that it's not coming in laden with diseases and problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

This is probably not going to matter but white cats have a problem with sunlight. They sunburn. if you ever were in a room in the evening with a white cat with glowing red ears you would feel truly sorry for them. he fur on the ears does not provide enough protection and they can go wild with the pain and even develope skin cancer on the ears.

If your cat is going to be an indoor cat no problem and given the tendancy of the neighbours to kidnap unsuspecting kittens this might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

yeah, thats the other thing with pure white cats.
    If you were looking for a outdoor cat (never a good idea inho), it is a lot more likely to be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I can actually highly recommend black cats. I've had 3 and they've all had the most placid, gentle temperment. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if it's a genetic thing. I know tortoiseshell cats are reputed to be quite mischievous.

To be honest, if something was to happen to one of my cats and I was to get a replacement, i'd avoid getting a new cat of the same colour as it would just remind me of the old one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

My sister had a tortoiseshell... most beautiful cat I have ever seen, but talk about cheeky. Never vicious, but had a wicked sense of humour. One day my sister had shouted at her and thrown her out of the house because she'd wee'd in the living room. Well.. later the cat comes in, and while my sister's on the phone in bed, up she saunters, jumps up on the bed and squats right in front of my sisters face and sh1ts on the bed. My sister was in shock as it all appeared in front of her. The cat then went off and wee'd all over her brand new trousers. Hilarious cat, we all really miss her.

But, um.. white cats. Well.. I can only echo above, they have specific health problems (deafness and sunburn etc), but I'm sure there's a lovely white kitty out there somewhere looking for a home. As for finding one, ring around your local vets and ask them to put you on their kitten waiting list (many vets have these) and tell them you want a white one, something should turn up sooner or later.

Advertisement