Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and if we forget the EPL a little?;)

• 11-12-2004 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

let's talk about the other leagues here.
    who follow other leagues than EPL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am a season ticket holder for a team in the SPL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

what is your favourite team in SPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lili wrote:
    what is your favourite team in SPL?
    Maybe his sig might tell you
    ;)

that is the celtic isn't it?

why the priest in the pic?

• Advertisement

lili wrote:
    why the priest in the pic?

Brother Walfrid, the founder of Celtic in 1888. The club was founded to help the poor immigrants from Ireland that settled in Glasgow. It is an all encompassing club though and the presence of Walfrid in religious clothing does not mean it is a religious club! (although it does draw a lot of it's support from the Catholic community and from Irish people and Irish decesdant Scots).

ok, i understand now why in a report i saw so much irish fans for the celtic.
    i heard them speak. what accent :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

does not mean it is a religious club!

Which equates altho they will never publicly advocate the religous bigotry which attaches itself to Celtic they will take your money quite easily even when they know its religous bigotry which has brought so many fans to the club(rangers also)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Which equates altho they will never publicly advocate the religous bigotry which attaches itself to Celtic they will take your money quite easily even when they know its religous bigotry which has brought so many fans to the club(rangers also)

kdjac

No it does not equate to that

Feel free to open another thread to discuss this as, IMO, it is off topic

No it does not equate to that

Feel free to open another thread to discuss this as, IMO, it is off topic

Umm wouldn say that

I am a season ticket holder for a team in the SPL
    religous bigotry

Pretty much sums up the SPL , therefore we are discussing other leagues here.
    Avg gate in SPl is about 10k , but Old Firm get 45k to 66k , yah think its a footballing reason they get that many fans?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Getting back to the topic, I follow my local team (Shelbourne in Dublin). I love watchin football from all countries, and have picked up a bit of an interest in the French league after Shelbourne played Lille this year. Spanish football (well only really Real Madrid and Barcelona) is easy to follow because of all the Sky Sports coverage, and the Italian league has returned to Irish screens recently which helps. And of course theres Scotland, but I can't really say I have a great interest in it.

Other than that, we dont get much coverage of other leagues over here apart from Champions League coverage and 4am repeats of Brazilian soccer, where annoying hairy men practice their diving in front of stadiums filled with millions of fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

lili wrote:
    who follow other leagues than EPL?

La Liga
    FC Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I also follow la liga. I like watching real and barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

KdjaC wrote:
    KdjaC wrote:
    Avg gate in SPl is about 10k , but Old Firm get 45k to 66k , yah think its a footballing reason they get that many fans?

[off topic]
    so if A Dub in Glasgo - is a season ticket holder and goes to other matches e.g. Celtic vs Dundee United etc. that makes him a religious bigot. He is there not to support a club... i think not.

Just because you support a football club which may have irish/catholic connections.. doesnt make them or their supporters a religious bigot(s). Nor does it mean that the club they are supporting promote bigotry.

Therefore same could be said about many other sports which have irish/catholic connections - e.g Boston Celtic [basketball], Notre Dame [american football] (the Fighting Irish - a catholic university).

I take it you have never been to a Celtic game. :eek:
    [/off topic]

I follow the MLS - Metrostars. :eek:

Been to Parkhead 4 times, each and every time confirming my opinion that 95% of celtic and rangers fans are only in it for the hatred.

kdjac

Busy times then as you spoke to 50,000+ fans each time you went? Troll merchant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Im a Shelbourne supporter first and foremost. ( Personally I see them in the Champions League group stages in the next few years. )

I cant stand scottish football since its not very good and secondly its either Celtic or Rangers and that has more to do with hatred than football.

La Liga is the best league in the world and I follow it. I support Deportivo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you lot want to discuss Celtic, Rangers or whatever other 2 bit team from that secondrate league start a new thread. If I see mention of this fued here again I will ban you all !!!!!

gandalf wrote:
    If you lot want to discuss Celtic, Rangers or whatever other 2 bit team from that secondrate league start a new thread. If I see mention of this fued here again I will ban you all !!!!!

And the thread is about?
    Oh discussing leagues other than EPL silly us.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

KdjaC banned for a week. Anyone else what to step up and have a go !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Serie A
    Milan.
    The best team in the world at the moment?
    I think so.

i'm lucky to have canal+, so i can follow several leagues.
    in spain, the barça impress me a lot for the moment. i'm a little disappointed by the so so performance of real madrid.
    in italy, the milan seems the stronger. even if juventus with tie scores lead the calcio.
    in germany, the bayern stay a sure valour. i like bremen team.
    in france, lyon is impressive, 3 times france champion and in road for a 4th title. lyon is my team;) but i also like monaco, auxerre, sochaux and lille. wonder how long lille could stick at lyon. i don't follow portugal, they are cheaters:D

and finally, in the EPL, i like arsenal of course. they got talentuous players and a bunch of young players which gonna make talk about them soon. damn! they must do something in CL!

I am partial to watching some of the La Liga games. I went to see Real Betis when I was over there and Athletic Bilbao another time. I have seen Barcelona 3 times this year live. Over the last few years, I have seen my team play Valencia, Celta Vigo and Villarreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

The Championship

Some cracking games, lots of goals - and the run for the play-off places keeps the season exciting to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

eircom league. cork city.
    you can't beat the excitement and atmosphere of actually going to games.

id pretty much watch any football game that was on though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I used goto a lot of St Pats games when I moved to Dublin first (1991)
    now only get to see them once or twice a season

a friend of mine says the Irish League (N.I.) is better but I'm not convinced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I used goto a lot of St Pats games when I moved to Dublin first (1991)
    now only get to see them once or twice a season

a friend of mine says the Irish League (N.I.) is better but I'm not convinced

Yeah im not sure about leagues where religion can sometimes take over from the football. The Setanta Cup next year will hopefully show us which league is actually stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It might sound arrogant but quite clearly the league of Ireland is streets ahead of the Irish League at the moment standard of play wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

couldnt agree more Slash/ED. Roll on March and Shels will be giving the Irish leagues teams a lesson in Eircom League football :D (wasnt the draw meant to be soon)

One league that I wouldnt watch is the German league. I think its a high enough standard but boooring.

I used to think Dutch football was brilliant. Not so much now.

There was brasilian soccer on T.V for a while there, very late at night. Santos were playing and there was a great deal of walking about. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, I watched some of that late night Brazilian soccer when I was working night shifts. I don't think even Arsenal in the early 90's were that boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agreeing with Slash/ED and thejollyroger. Cannot wait for the new season, and to get behind Shels again. Especially in the games against our feeder club :D and of course CVFC.

Advertisement