Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Task Manager won't show in XP..

• 11-12-2004 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

This problem is driving me mad...

I've got a Dell Dimension Pc.. It's got Windows XP Pro installed.
    When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and then click Task Manager, I get back to the desktop.
    Same if I type "taskman".. nothing happens.

I've scanned with Spybot & Adaware, latest updates.. nothing found.
    I've had nortonAV installed, uptodate.. nothing.
    I've now got AVG Free installed... nothing.
    I've installed SP2 and all security packs from windows update... nothing.

Task Manager refuses to work.
    I've got an alternative 3rd party Task Manager, but a problem in our Sage accounts program is leading Sage (I haven't a clue with Sage, and don't want to get involved tbh) to insist that Windows Task Manager works before they progress with their tech support. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

when you hit ctrl -alt -del, task manager pops up instantly, you don't have to press "task manager" except on xp without a service pack,are you sure their installed

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Yup, SP2 is installed... C-A-D comes up with "Windows Security", in there, there is Lock Computer, Log Off etc. as well as task manager. Clicking task manager closes out of "Windows Security" and brings me back to the desktop.

When I right click My Computer for system info, it says Windows XP Proffesinal Service Pack 2..
    It's def. installed

not too much on the web about it....

http://forums.aspfree.com/t37907/s.html

does regedit work????
    http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/lofiversion/index.php/t8050.html

see if taskmanager works in safe mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mukki wrote:
    when you hit ctrl -alt -del, task manager pops up instantly, you don't have to press "task manager" except on xp without a service pack,are you sure their installed
    That's incorrect. Task Manager showed up on Ctrl-Alt-Del for 95 and 98. For NT, 2k and XP, it gives options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

start - run - taskMAN to see 9x taskmanager
    start - run - taskMGR for task manager in NT/2K/XP - or - ctrl shift esc

If the internal taskmanager is broken you could download procexp from www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

ctrl alt del - did not show up task manager on 9x - it gave a close program dialog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

What happens if you right-click on an empty portion of the start bar and choose Task Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

mukki wrote:
    not too much on the web about it....

http://forums.aspfree.com/t37907/s.html

"When I Hit ctrl,alt,delete to bring up task manager, it starts up, flashes onto the screen and then disappears leaving the icon down in the task bar. So I then run my cursor over it and it disappears".
    My task manager just doesn't show at all. Doesn't even flash up..
    mukki wrote:
    Regedit works fine.
    mukki wrote:
    see if taskmanager works in safe mode
    It doesn't unfortunately...

seamus wrote:
    That's incorrect. Task Manager showed up on Ctrl-Alt-Del for 95 and 98. For NT, 2k and XP, it gives options.

can anyone confirm this, as i have xp sp2 and it just pops up taskmanager when i press ctrl-alt-del, it was the same when i had sp1, and the brothers pc is the same too

as for the initial problem, can you copy taskman.exe from another pc, might be just corrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Guys,

The difference between CTRL+ALT+DEL showing the taskmanager automatically, or showing the Windows Security box, is down the domain membership of the machine.

When in a domain, CTRL+ALT+DEL will show the Windows Security Box, when in a workgroup the same buttons show taskmanager automatically.

It's most likely that the local policy is preventing the running of task manager. To run it you will have to remove your machine from the domain, by making it a workgroup computer, then run the mmc and snap-in the group policy. You can then edit to your hearts content.

WARNING! You will need administrative access to the computer, so make sure that you set up an admin account before removing the computer from the domain.

Cheerio
    Howard
    Windows Server 2003 MCSE, MCSA, MCP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hshortt wrote:
    Guys,

The difference between CTRL+ALT+DEL showing the taskmanager automatically, or showing the Windows Security box, is down the domain membership of the machine.
    Sounds reasonable, but my machine at home (XP Pro) is part of a workgroup and gives me options on Ctrl-Alt-Del, just as my machine in work (XP Pro) is part of a domain and also gives options.

Is it something in the Local Security Policy, or is it a difference in behaviour with Home and Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Think it may just be the difference between XP home and professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hi Seamus,

Is that home machine in a domain called workgroup or an actual workgroup? Certainly the local policy can disable task manager but the reason you get the security box and not the task manager directly are due to domain membership.

In a related thing, you'll also find that if you are in a domain and you double click the system clock, you don't have the extra tab for internet time. This is because all domain clients syncronise time with their domain controller. On a non-domain machine this tab is available for you to configure a time source.

Additionally the same thing occurs with the welcome screen, on a non-domain client, the Welcome to Windows screen is the default, whereas on a domain client the familiar CTRL+ALT+DEL is required to logon.

Of course these are just defaults and can be changed via policy or system tweaks.

Cheers
    Howard

Advertisement