Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Videotape to DVD service?

• 11-12-2004 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I need to transfer two videotapes to DVD. Is there anywhere in Ireland (preferably Dublin or surrounds) that does this, please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

I could do this for ya if you want. PM with some details of whta you want done. BTW, I am in North East Dublin, D13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I could do this for ya if you want. PM with some details of whta you want done. BTW, I am in North East Dublin, D13

It costs.... and not really worth it. Your best option is to find a mate to do it for you. I'd offer, but I'm in London.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I sent a pm to ntlTechnical but he doesn't seem to have got it. If anyone knows him in real life, can you tell him to read his pm, or send me one? I now have both tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

luckat wrote:
    I need to transfer two videotapes to DVD. Is there anywhere in Ireland (preferably Dublin or surrounds) that does this, please?

Invest in a recordable dvd & do it yourself. They're down to less than 300 now & its the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

dvd writers are (much) less than 100 euro on kpmplett I think?
    Leadtek XP Expert telly tuner card on overclockers for 60 euro including delivery.
    should be all you need.
    Can make avi files from videotapes using that card (i have it) and the bundled software. Has software for making dvds too but I've no burner. Recordings are as good quality as the originals I think.
    If ya want it put into avi (or any of the formats listed in the attachment) for any reason I can do it for a tenner if you bring it to rathgar and collect from there.
    Um if you buy me a dvd writer i can do the whole thing for free! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

i could also do this for you mate
    BUT the thing to check is this VHS an original with copyright??
    if so it will most likely have macro protection on it and when you try to copy even to dvd the dvd recorder will pick up on this and you wont get a signal through the recorder
    this will be the case on most recorders
    hope his helps

You could buy a cheap standards convertor, for a couple of hundred quid... If you do a pal to pal conversion (Ie no conversion), it'll strip the macro vision off.

John

Lump wrote:
    You could buy a cheap standards convertor, for a couple of hundred quid... If you do a pal to pal conversion (Ie no conversion), it'll strip the macro vision off.

John
    quite right lump
    as lump says you will need one of these converters to do it if it is an original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

av media did a few for me
    cost a tenner a tape
    whats the tape ?
    it may have copy protection on it
    if there just movies .some of the boys may have it on boards and just rip a copy of it 4 u ?
    as long as theres no charge its ok to give a copy to a mate etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

IANOC wrote:
    i could also do this for you mate
    BUT the thing to check is this VHS an original with copyright??
    if so it will most likely have macro protection on it and when you try to copy even to dvd the dvd recorder will pick up on this and you wont get a signal through the recorder
    this will be the case on most recorders
    hope his helps

Isn't surpassing this as simple as putting sticky tape across the top of the tape where the two holes are?? It works with cassettes, pretty sure it's the same for VHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

if ye wanted ye could di it yourself whith this:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20419

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

aye my uncle picked up some pci card that connects to his vhs,you play the vhs and it rips it to the computer and then you just use dvd shrink to shrink the size of the ripped video,then burn it to dvd

cormie wrote:
    Isn't surpassing this as simple as putting sticky tape across the top of the tape where the two holes are?? It works with cassettes, pretty sure it's the same for VHS.

yes if you want to record over the tape but we are talking macro protection on copyrighted VHS

Well a TBC (time base corrector) will solve any macrovision problems ;)

Is there an echo in here?

John

Is there an echo in here?

John

didnt you just say that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

VHS to dvd?? well.. if you have a dvd drive on your comp.. and a VCR.. then i think all you need is a video card.. then you can hook up your VCR to your comp.. that's what me and my friends use.. i hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I can do it for you - I've got a TBC and a standalone Panasonic recorder. If you've got a DVD-R drive I can point you to some pretty inexpensive software that will allow you to re-edit the DVD and create your own menus. Send me PM.
    I'm transferring a whole bunch of my old VHS tapes to DVD-R so it would be no problem to do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Funny that, I just asked something similar on a mailing list. However I'm looking to convert from VHS to file, i.e. MPEG/AVI/whatever. Any recommendations? How about this AV Media crowd, who are they and where can I find them?

(Obviously I could have someone convert from VHS to DVD and then rip the DVD, but that seems like the long way around.)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

dahamsta wrote:
    Funny that, I just asked something similar on a mailing list. However I'm looking to convert from VHS to file, i.e. MPEG/AVI/whatever. Any recommendations? How about this AV Media crowd, who are they and where can I find them?

(Obviously I could have someone convert from VHS to DVD and then rip the DVD, but that seems like the long way around.)

adam

Adam - You can rip your DVD to Avi with TMPGEnc DVD Author. PM me if you need any details.

-- Edit -- I should have read the question fully. Personally I would record the VHS to DVD using a DVD Recorder (set top recorder) then rip to Avi as above. If you have a capture card you could connect your video to your PC using video out and capture it to Avi or Mpeg.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info dave but I'd actually prefer to pay someone to do it, I have a pretty tangled setup here already and I hate having to dick with it. Plus I have another dozen or so VHS cassettes that I'd like to duplicate if the first one goes well.

Obviously it doesn't matter to me who does it, so if anyone on Boards wants to step up to the plate, feel free. I'd need a guarantee that the tape wouldn't be damaged though.

adam

I'd happily do it for you, I live in London though. I'd do it for a price true, but surely cheaper then anywhere commerical. And I can deal in a variety of formats/compressions. Can burn to DVD or as you requested to files of any size compression format etc. If you're interested, give me a PM. I can arrange a price. Again I'm in London, but postage system works ;)

John

Sorry update, the cheapest I found online is £20 for each 2 hour vhs to dvd... I'd be willing to do it for £12.50 per two hours... incl Del.

Anyway, let me know.

John

I'll let this stick for a while.... I assume you bought the original films?

John

To print off the covers at the correct size, http://www.coverxp.com/main.asp and to acquire the covers themselves, http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php

Sorry for not getting back Lump, got me wisdoms out on Friday, been avoiding everything. :)

Anyway I'll definitely take you up on that offer, but it'll be next month by the time I get to it, that ok with you?

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Sorry for not getting back Lump, got me wisdoms out on Friday, been avoiding everything. :)

Anyway I'll definitely take you up on that offer, but it'll be next month by the time I get to it, that ok with you?

adam

Yea, no worries, let me know, PM or my e-mail address is johnloughman@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

VHS to dvd?? well.. if you have a dvd drive on your comp.. and a VCR.. then i think all you need is a video card.. then you can hook up your VCR to your comp.. that's what me and my friends use.. i hope it helps!

when you say video card , do you mean a tv card or a graphics card?

My pc has no tvcard - I heard that you can get a usb video bus cable to link your vcr to your pc and eliminates the need for a tvcard - has anyone gone down this road?

failing that can you recommend a good (and cheap!!) video card?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hoffy

Dragging up old posts to pimp a website/business that I believe you are part of is bad. Don't do it again.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement