Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed with wireless setup.

• 11-12-2004 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a newbie when it comes to wireless network setups etc and I need help with a network I am trying to create at home.

At the moment I am using a standard desktop pc connected to Eircom broadband via a Netopia Cayman DSL modem. I am using a USB connection as my desktop pc doesn't have a ethernet connection.

I have recently purchased a Packard Bell laptop with a wireless network card. I also purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router (compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g according to the box).

Now this is where I am having problem.

I have connected the router and modem via ethernet cable. I have also run the router setup wizard on the laptop. The router LED lights show that the router is connected to the internet. However try as I might I cannot connect to the internet on the laptop. When I go into the network connection properties on the laptop it shows that the wireless connection is disconnected.

If the router is up and running and connected to the internet, how do I get the wireless connection on the laptop to connect to the router and therefore the internet?

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dac51 (wireless newbie).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mpkelly

Had the same problem with my belkin setup. I ended up having to turn off the WPA security via the router; doing this seemed to sort the problem out but now the network is not protected!

You didn't mention whether the card in your laptop is a Belkin one? Try deactivating the security and see if it works.

> When I go into the network connection properties on the laptop it shows that the wireless connection is disconnected.

Ignore that issue. I have the same setup as you (Eircom BB / netopia modem / Belkin router) and the properties tell me that I'm also disconnected, but everything runs fine so it definitely ain't disconnected!

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Problem solved. After callin Belkin Tech Support line the problem was obvious. On a laptop with a built in wireless card you need to switch the card on. This is done using a switch or button on the laptop itself. Flicked the switch and the laptop immediately connectedr to the Belkin router. Hey presto! Wireless surfing!

Thanks for your help.

Close thread.

Advertisement