Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixing copyrighted music

Options
  • 14-08-2001 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

if i make a mix of some 1`s copyrighted song who owns the copyright 2 the new track?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

As far as I know you own the copyright but they get the royalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

do u have 2 get permition to do dis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I don't think so but if you do and you don't pay royalties you could get into alot of trouble over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

If you've done a mix of an act signed to a record label you need their authorisation to release it, the copyright of any part of their track used on the mix is still theirs, only the beats or additional production you've done belong to you.
    Some acts may be very kind and allow you to do as you please with it, but there's been loads of cases of people getting really ****ed off and taking legal action, not necessaryily the act themselves, but their management trying to make an extra bit of cash e.g. Andrew Loog Oldham taking all the royalties for bitter sweet symphony because of a litle string sample.

[This message has been edited by Ed (edited 15-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

Is it illegal if you recompose an exact replic of something, like guitar riffs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [Preacher]:
    Is it illegal if you recompose an exact replic of something, like guitar riffs?</font>

No it's not, if you don't use the original sound recording and just remake it yourself, e.g. sony hade some sad dance people remake "nights of the jaguar" because Underground Resistance wouldn't sell them the licence

Advertisement