Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilgowran kennels

Options
  • 12-12-2004 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever hear of kilgowran kennels?
    Im looking into buying a king charles for the parents for xmas and they advertised puppies in the buy and sell for 400 euro each.
    I have no experience with dogs and could anyone tell me what they know about this crowd and if this is too much to pay.
    Any help appreciated.
    jp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

First of all...

Puppies do NOT make good Christmas presents!!!!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoEaton

I bought a pup from this kennel a three months ago. I can confirm that they are reputable breeders. You can view both parents and the dogs are kept in a family environment. However, I'm not sure about the fact that you are buying a dog for your parents. There are a number of questions to be asked such as how old are your parents and will they be around as long as the dog is alive. Also, there are things like holidays abroad to consider - who will take the dog then? King Charles are companion dogs and like to be with their owners and indoors at all times. Confirm that your parents really want this commitment before making a decision. A King Charles puppy is really the closest thing you will find to a baby and they are a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Usually KCs and homed in pairs or to homes with another friendly dog, they love companionship of humans and other dogs. As long as your parents know and are willing to take on a pup and know the ins and outs then give the place a ring, go and visit them and see how the dogs are housed and their policys etc. Sometimes xmas is an ok time to get a dog, not all familys have screaming kids wanting to sqoosh a new pup, sometimes people are only off at xmas time for 2 weeks or so so it gives them a chance to settle the pup in. Although pets as xmas presents don't always work out esp. with small animals it really depends on the circumstances of each home.
    Ask lots of questions at the kennels and make sure your parents are committed, things to look out for are making sure the pup is 8 to 10 weeks of age, better to be slightly older because all the vaccinations should of been done before a pup is rehomed. Breeding of dogs should be restricted to those really in the know so ensure your parents promise to have the dog spayed/neutered etc. The kennels should be very clean, dogs and pups should be over all happy and healthy and have genuine certs etc. Even ask questions down to their diet if they are a good kennel they should have lots and lots of info and information sheets for you.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

no animal should be bought as a present - for Christmas or any other time - have you not seen the amount of abandon animals a few days after Christmas every single year on the news?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Please make sure your parents want a puppy or it could be a very nasty surprise for them:rolleyes:

Personally i'd tend to be wary of a kennel that's producing puppies from 4 different breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Wait until March - when the pups are 4 months old - unruley - untrained etc - then see how many lovely Xmas presents are unwanted. The phones of rescue centres will be red hot.
    I'm not assuming this WILL happen with the KCS but hey it's a sad and true fact - it happens year after year.
    Also have to agree 100% with Arcadian - a decent reputable and knowledgable breeder will usually only deal with one breed of dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Lads, this thread is a year old!!!
    The puppy is probably a full grown dog by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I didn't notice the date on the opening post:p

JoEaton repeat after me ' i will not dredge up old posts ' :D

Advertisement