Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleevesmahoney.com vs poker.ie

Options
  • 12-12-2004 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I know site design depends on personal choice

but with reference to this thread

and this comment
    You paid someone to do that cormie?
    Seems a bit messed up in firefox.
    http://www.sleevesmahoney.com
    I didn't have any prior database knowledge before I attempted that site btw, so you can see how easy it is.

was just wondering what the rest of you think about that new poker site? www.poker.ie
    A comparison with www.sleevesmahoney.com perhaps ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Once you adblock http://www.poker.ie/images/banners/* then the poker site is OK.

But why compare 2 sites on two different subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Once you adblock http://www.poker.ie/images/banners/* then the poker site is OK.

But why compare 2 sites on two different subjects?
    why don't you adblock */banners/* , much better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

talos wrote:
    why don't you adblock */banners/* , much better ;)
    I though I already had...strange that...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Poker.ie has to rate as one of the most unpleasant .ie websites I've ever seen.

I just can't see anything beyond the epeleptic fit inducing flashing banners on either side of the page.

Why on earth would someone do that to their website? Perhaps the idea is users will click on the banners as fast as they can just to stop the flashing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, I didn't think poker.ie was too bad (apart from the blatant whoring) until ye mentioned the ads and I turned the Avant blocker off. Ewwww. On a basic design note, lose the "www." in the primary logo, it serves no purpose.

I was surprised to see people complimenting the other site in the other thread. I mean it's not bad, but it's nothing to boast about either. And of course there was the blatant whoring here too. Zero respect.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

The Sleeves Mahoney site is fantastically green and ugly. I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll. Thank god the first post i see says this:
    I'm going to change the CSS of the site, green is boring me now.

As already said, the new poker.ie is ok, a pity about the banners. I think its just those particular flashing banners which are bad, maybe if they change in time it wont be so bad.

i don't like the latest news/articles/events tucked up in little boxes with a long-winded waffley intro text taking precidence. But its a vast vast vast improvement over the previous incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

They're two totally different types of sites, targetting completely different audiences, so any comparison is going to be flawed.

Having said that the sleevemahoney thing is a horrible green and has the same "design" or lack thereof of so many other sites ie. it is totally forgettable once you've got over the total lack of colour sense.

Poker.ie may not be everybody's cup of tea but it has an original design, logo etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're absolutely right with the 2 different type of sites blacknight, there really is nothing to compare.

That said there's no way I would ever click on another poker.ie link unless I'd stocked up on the Nurofen.

What may start off as a good site can be instantly turned into an incredibly unuseable site with the addition of a few incredibly tacky and badly placed flashing banner ads.

To be honest I couldn't see past the flashing borders pimping the online poker service. I just hope for the webmasters sake he quickly realises that the majority of people will respond to that by hitting the back/exit/close button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Poker.ie is annoying. It is very difficult to keep your eyes on the content, because the banner on the right keeps grabbing your attention. Don't piss off visitors to your site, not if you want traffic.

Advertisement