Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another, what would you do?

Options
  • 12-12-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Early enough in a 25$ NL Freezeout.
    You're dealt 66 in seat 9. You've just won about 1k off Player1 to bring your stack to about 3k. Player1 is UTG and goes all-in for about 800. I called this with 3 others left to call. Small blind goes all-in for about 1800.
    Don't have any other info on the players. Both are pretty average with the amount of hands they are playing.

So do you call the extra 1k or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭CoD

Assuming, you started with 2k, i'd fold. It would bring you down too far, and besides, now you get a read on the SB what cards he'd go all in one etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Imposter wrote:
    Early enough in a 25$ NL Freezeout.
    You're dealt 66 in seat 9. You've just won about 1k off Player1 to bring your stack to about 3k. Player1 is UTG and goes all-in for about 800. I called this with 3 others left to call. Small blind goes all-in for about 1800.
    Don't have any other info on the players. Both are pretty average with the amount of hands they are playing.

So do you call the extra 1k or not?

It is highly likely that player 1 is being reckless but may have hit a couple of overcards such as KJ / KQ or the like so you are probably ahead (slightly!) pre-flop. Small blind you would imagine has a decent hand going all-in AA KK or AK, or as you say if he is average and playing alot of hands he may be trying to get rid of you and get heads up with player 1 who he may feel is being reckless after just losing 1K.

Scenario 1 - Call and lose the pot to the small blind you will be down to 1200 but certainly not out.
    Scenario 2 - Call and lose to player 1 you will be down to 2200 and still in the game.
    Scenario 3 - Fold. You will be down to 2200 and probably in an average position.
    Scenario 4 - Call and win you'll be up to 5600, knocking 2 players out and be in a commanding position.

Should you call you are quite likely to need another 6. Its a tough call as the lure of knocking 2 people out and have 5600 in chips is not an easy one to pass up but I'd probably fold and continue on with my 2200 and wait for a stronger hand.

Georgey

PS This is from a complete novice so take it easy on me if I'm talking rubbish. I only took up the game about 2 months ago after watching the WSOP and have only played a few home games with friends and online play money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Starting stacks of 1500 and average stack is about 1600.

Did I make a mistake in calling, should I have folded or raised all-in? (small blind was biggest stack still to act after me)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

you see the call shows weakness I think.

It shows the small blind that you dont have a AK or something hand, cause everyone would go all in there.
    It also shows that you don't have AA or KK or something, cause most people would at least raise.

If you had gone all in, he would have had to think about anything below KK strongly, and while he might have called you, it would have been a toughie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

You need to win about 1 in 5 times to make the call correct, If you assume that player 1 is pusing on any non paired broadway cards, and player 3 has AA, KK, QQ, AK; then your equity is about 30%, so a fold is pretty bad here.

10,931,763,150 games 27.922 secs 391,510,749 games/sec

Board:
    Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 22.2905 % [ 00.22 00.01 ] { AKs-ATs, KQs-KTs, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-ATo, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo }
    Hand 2: 28.7960 % [ 00.29 00.00 ] { 66 }
    Hand 3: 48.9135 % [ 00.48 00.01 ] { AA-QQ, AKs, AKo }

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'd fold them personally. The small stack could be going in on any 2 cards, but they're more than likely to be overcards to your 6's.
    The SB could have a big pair or AK, but even if he's pushing all in on 99 or JJ you're still in big trouble.
    Depends if you want to gamble a little to become a hefty chip leader or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I wouldn't have called with 9's in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I wouldn't have called with 9's in the first place.
    Get back to prison you big rock.

Even if you include all PP above 88 you still have an equity of over 25%, so you should call.

52,593,089,472 games 114.563 secs 459,075,700 games/sec

Board:
    Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 26.2392 % [ 00.26 00.01 ] { AKs-ATs, KQs-KTs, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-ATo, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo }
    Hand 2: 25.4029 % [ 00.25 00.00 ] { 66 }
    Hand 3: 48.3579 % [ 00.48 00.01 ] { AA-99, AKs, AKo }

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm still folding with 3 players still to act. If I was on the big blind I'd call.

• Advertisement

I'm still folding with 3 players still to act. If I was on the big blind I'd call.

The question is whether you'd call the last 1000 assuming you already called the allin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Well, as it happened, I folded. My thinking when I called Player1 was that I was ahead of him, putting him on 2 high non-paired cards. However the SB calling made me think he had a very good hand, probably a large pp. I didn't fancy my chances with 66 against 2 all-in players with relatively large stacks.

It turns out both of them had AK and I would have won if I called. Then I got to thinking what would the SB have done if I had gone all-in here (I rarely if ever go all-in when i've got an all-in player covered)? As it turned out he almost definitely still would have called but when if ever would this move be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Imposter wrote:
    Small blind goes all-in for about 1800.

I thought you made the right move folding but I didn't think there was a reraise option as you had said the SB was all in ?? Either way, reraising with 66 is dodgy as he could have been pot committed at this stage and prob wouldn't have folded AK. The best you could have hoped for was a coin toss (which it turned out to be). Just because you would have won that coin toss doesn't make your play wrong.

Sorry, just read it again and realise you meant prior to his bet. D'oh.

Imposter wrote:
    Well, as it happened, I folded. My thinking when I called Player1 was that I was ahead of him, putting him on 2 high non-paired cards. However the SB calling made me think he had a very good hand, probably a large pp. I didn't fancy my chances with 66 against 2 all-in players with relatively large stacks.

It turns out both of them had AK and I would have won if I called. Then I got to thinking what would the SB have done if I had gone all-in here (I rarely if ever go all-in when i've got an all-in player covered)? As it turned out he almost definitely still would have called but when if ever would this move be an idea?

You should go all in with in that situation, you have a vunerable hand and really want to persuade 88 or 99 not to get involved.

Advertisement