Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Napster clone?

Options
  • 13-08-2001 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K lads!,

Napster left us a while back, or else we left it!, either way, what are yez using now?

As you all know there are several clones available, but most of them don't have enough users sharing to make them compeditors with Napster. But some do....

I am using WinMX which lets you connect to several servers concurrently, a bit like Napigator. I got it @ www.zeropaid.com , where you will find some of the other leading clones.

So when posting try to rate yours, considering GUI, ease of use, and of course, can you get what you want, when you want!

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Scrap

My fav is Audiogalaxy ( http://www.audiogalaxy.com ) , i rate it BETTER than napster because i get better d/l times from it.
    Its really easy too use and hasnt failed me yet while searching for songs, if audiogalaxy dont have, i just do an ftp search using audiogalaxy, and it'll track 'em down !!!

ps: i do not work for audiogalaxy tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

Kazaa is the best.
    www.kazaa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Morpheus, from http://www.Musiccity.com, uses the same engine/source as Kazaa, bar one nice thing,it isn't limited to 128Kbs for Mp3s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

K A Z A A ALL The Way!!!

Possibly the best I've ever used. I've never connected and there is less than 600,000 users sharing!!

It's not even funny how good it is. Its got a kicka** resume function and it d/l concurrently so you never lose a connection.

IMO, its the software sharing that is the ultimate feature- I've downloaded dreamweaver, flash 5, fireworks, paintshop pro, adobe go live.....the list goes on !!

Kazaa: A must for any Desktop !!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aye, gotta go with Kazaa myself. The system it uses is ingenious :]

Though if I'm looking for rare mp3's (like Blink) AudioGalaxy is better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I have to admit I don't like AudioGalaxy. It's Ok if you are in college or work (where you have a fast connection). But you have to remember that this system runs over HTTP. So the interface is dynamically generated web content, that comprise graphics and other non essentials that make the experience even slower over traditional dialup connections.

But on the otherhand it does seem to be the place to get all those rarities. A definite last resource if you can't get it anywhere else.

Anyway I'm off to see what Kazza is like and will get back to yez, with my comments and criticisms.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Scrap

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PiE:
    Aye, gotta go with Kazaa myself. The system it uses is ingenious :] </font>

yeah, thats because i designed it! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

morpheus... it has Kazza features... heheh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

with a fast connect, audiogalaxy is by far the best imo.. but its not really a Napster clone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd go with musiccity/kazaa too, just wish they fixed the big file problem, ie has a habit of starting from zero on big file resumes(100mb+), the damn dat is there but it starts from zero anyhow, suspect it has something to do with "supernodes" going offline(generally happens when a dialup user has been downloading for a few hours--an unlikely scenario for the cable and dsl users..).

Have seen people saying that pausing a download every once in a while for three secs cures this, but when do you know when to pause?

If you are downloading mp3 singles, kazaa is the napster rpl, but albums..on dialup can be frustrating.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Cheers lads,

KaZaA is a class program. I setup there a few mins ago and I like the number of users connected. I'm sure you all know that since Napster left us, this has been the biggest issue when it comes to file sharing software.

Bearing that in mind, I still think WinMX is good also. The interface might not be as kewl as KaZaA, but it has the numbers and they usually have the files.

Good job!

;-phobos-)

BTW, does anyone know what protocols KaZaA uses?, twould be interesting to know, so I can use it through the college firewall next symester.

TIA

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    K A Z A A ALL The Way!!!

Possibly the best I've ever used. I've never connected and there is less than 600,000 users sharing!!

It's not even funny how good it is. Its got a kicka** resume function and it d/l concurrently so you never lose a connection.

IMO, its the software sharing that is the ultimate feature- I've downloaded dreamweaver, flash 5, fireworks, paintshop pro, adobe go live.....the list goes on !!

Kazaa: A must for any Desktop !!

</font>

I'll second that, and I haven't even used the software option. It's the absolute best, i think there was over 300000 GB of files on the network last time i was on. Pity there's no *nix port....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Prof.Frink

My fave would have to be Morpheus exactly like Kazaa I just like it better,LOL anyway check it out http://www.morpheus.com

Glaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Audiogalaxy i here is quite good.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Kazaa. finds almost everything i need. d/l mp3's in like 20 seconds. great stuff smile.gif

OFFICAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views expressed by SANE people. We accept no responsibility for any contamination caused to your bodily fluids due to reading this post. We ask patrons to please keep their feet visible at all times and their left hand raised in the air, for their own safety. Remember we're extremists with miniature guitars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Lopster for GNU/Linux is sweet. WinMX is alright but most of the Windows ones seem a bit clunky (especially Morpheus) IMHO.

Any future Kazaa users should read this
    http://slashdot.org/features/01/07/31/2015216.shtml

Doesn't sound like a nice company at all. Especially considering comparable apps are totally free.

[This message has been edited by R. Daneel Olivaw (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mine would have to be audiogalaxy smile.gif

Are you a Player of Games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

KAZZA has the best content but its nothing but spyware, and were talking full reg scans, websites visited...etc etc.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LURCH

personaly i find audiogalaxy the best smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Morpheus/KaZaA.

PanterA - Strength Beyond Strength
    There is nothing. No education. No family life to open my
    Arms to. You'd say that my job is today, yet gone tomorrow.
    I'll be broke in a gutter.
    I know the opinion. A broken record. **** you and your
    College dream. Fact is, we're stronger than all.

Advertisement