Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's my speed?

• 12-12-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

When I first connected to broadband, my supplier gave me an address that allowed me to do a speed test on the line. I can't remember the site and I can't find it in my history or here. I know there probably isn't a standard site for all speed tests, but is there a fairly reliable one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Try this. My Speed

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You could also try pcpitstop.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks both, niether were the original sites I visited, but I've got the numbers now. Just wanted to be sure I'm getting close to the download speeds my provider is charging me for (charged for : 512, maxSpeed tells me 392: not bad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Giganews has a good one at http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

I get a steady 430kbps in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

On Max Speed I get

Download: 618 kilobit/sec (77kb/sec), Latency 190ms
    Upload: 244 kilobit/sec (30 kb/sec)

Whereas on Giganews I get connection speed of 1320kps.

The Latency isn't great is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Best thing to do (if you want to stress your connection) is to get any old file from an irish or UK server (heanet works best) and then use a download resumer/speeder-upper to download the file in several parts to stress the connection.

That gives the best, i.e. most accurate, results. I use getright to speed up the ole downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

From work giganews gives me 2558kbps.

Anyones T1+ beat this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

JackieChan wrote:
    From work giganews gives me 2558kbps.

Anyones T1+ beat this?

3256kps here... But strict net policy, filtering in place so don't really use it TBH.

Advertisement