Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic - how do i save details from a form

Options
  • 12-12-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Here is what i want to do, in Visual Basic 6, i am making a game... it is a kind of Sim City game where there are loads of numbers going up and down and all this kind of thing... i can do all that fine.

Problem is the following, lets say someone plays my game, but want to then save their progress and come back to it later, i need to be able to read their statistics from a data file of some sort...

I know i'm asking alot here, but how do i set up this file? How do i write details to, and read details to and from a form

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could look into ini files, it's proberly better then a txt file for future proofing later versions of the program.
    (some people might say use the registry, but I feel this affects portability of the program)

I've just done a quick google and come up with: http://www.officecomputertraining.com/vbtutorial/tutpages/page40.asp

You'll prob need to look through a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If its a sim-city type game I'd imagine there's a lot to save. Would you not write the detail to a database?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I know i'm asking alot here, but how do i set up this file?

Look up any and all fo the following:

1) DAO, RDO, ADO, and other database-access techniques
    2) Registry I/O
    3) Ini-file I/O
    4) File I/O
    How do i write details to, and read details to and from a form
    Same way as you read/write details from/to a form when you're not saving to file. If you've got your game working, you're almost definitely already reading from and writing to a form.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

have a look at XML as well
    might be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 utilitarian

that is cool, however, what i want to know is what do i write... i will look into the things that you told me to but is there not some "write C:\MyFolder\data.dat" that i can do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 But

This might be useful for simple reading and writing to a .dat file or whatever you like.

http://forums.aspfree.com/showthread.php?p=118578

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

Simple file I/O in VB:

'Writing to a file
    dim iFreefile as integer
    iFreeFile = freefile

Open "C:\test.txt" For Output As #iFreeFile
    Print #iFreeFile, "This is the sample text"
    Close #iFreeFile

'Reading from a file
    dim iFreefile as integer
    dim sInput as string