Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Converter Confusion

• 12-12-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hi, i bought a wireless guitar system from america and with it i got an adaptor to power the reciever with american pins on the plug... Its ac/dc plug class 2 power supplyits a 120v 60hz input and the output is 13.5 volts 300mA. i just wanted to know if i could just buy a simple adaptor like the ones converting european to uk, theres one in the argos catalog on page 812 that can convert american to uk... would this work?
    hope someone can help

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Or just get a 13v adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

That depends on whether you want a smoke machine or a wireless guitar system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

lol good one, but y tho? the thing in the catalog converts american to uk

If you plug a 120V rated device into a 240V mains supply, what do you think is going to happen?

Convert the voltage with a step down (240VAC to 120VA) transformer, or buy a new 240VAC to 13.5VDC WITH THE CORRECT POLARITY.

I'd go with the new transformer (€15 or so)

well the system can be run with 11v to 13v so theres no problem there, y would the america to uk convertopr be in the argos catalog if it didn't work?

• Advertisement

steoob wrote:
    well the system can be run with 11v to 13v so theres no problem there, y would the america to uk convertopr be in the argos catalog if it didn't work?

If all it does is change the plug size then you can kiss your equipment goodbye.
    However, many electrical items have PSU's that are rated 120-240VAC which means they can be used anywhere in the world with an (plug) adaptor.

In your case it doesn't look like the PSU (transformer) will take 240V.
    You need one thet will (maplin, peats etc)

Bring your old one so they can match the polarity and voltage on the DC (equipment) end too.

well i know that you can use 240v adaptors coz my friend has one and i tried it out it says in the manual that and adaptor with 12v with 400mA can be used, i'd buy an adaptor too but this way would be cheaper if it was possible

i meant to say that any adaptor with 12v and 400mA can be used o yea and my broadband modem plug works with it too, its a uk plug with 12volts

Basically......

Any Irish/British/Hong Kong/European(with cheapo 3 pin adaptor)/whatever (so long as it's 240V AC) with

1/ the correct (or near enough) DC voltage
    2/ the correct polarity (whether the tip/centre is + or -) - this is as important as the voltage IMPORTANT.
    3/ the corect plug size (going into your equipment)
    4/ the correct (OR HIGHER) current output (eg 400mA or whatever).

IV

the polarity of the american adaptor is (i dont know the lingo) its a minus inside a circle - a line - like a c with a dot iside, the dot is connected to a line that goes to a plus with a circle around it... whats the story with that? so would that american to uk shaver-like adaptor work with this? o the ac end of the adaptor is one of those circlular pins thats like 5mm in diameter, much like nokia phone chargers except bigger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That circle is kinda important for the future of your smoke generator/wirless

most adaptors are centre positive + on the dot with the outside (C /circle) being negative - Make sure the new one matches or else ! The DC plug at the other end will need to fit two, many adaptors give you serveral sizes.

You could get a step down transformer 230V to 110V and then plug the US PSU into it. 13.5V x 300mA = less than 5 Watts so even the smallest one should do - get them in maplin or peats.

don't worry too much about the markings between 220V/230V/240V as they are more or less the same given mains electicity can vary by this much anyway.

i dont need a stepdown transmormer because it accepts 240volts ive tried it with my modem adaptor and it says it in the manul, all i need to know is can i get one of those convertors that just change the size of the plug to power it, it makes logical sence, doesn't it?

steoob wrote:
    i dont need a stepdown transmormer because it accepts 240volts ive tried it with my modem adaptor and it says it in the manul, all i need to know is can i get one of those convertors that just change the size of the plug to power it, it makes logical sence, doesn't it?

What accepts 240V?

The US transformer you received?
    Check the writing on the actual transformer - if it's 110V - 240V then get the Argos jobbie if it's just 110V then DO NOT PLUG IT IN!

I think you are VERY confused - go talk to somebody in an electrical retailer before you do some damage.

yea the thing runs on 110-240v so im gonna get the thing in argos, o **** i just looked at it again and its got a big crcluar ridge around the pin receptors so that you can only plug in small plugs, the adaptor is big and it wont fit, is this to stop people plugging in adaptors?

Advertisement