Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda S2000

Options
  • 12-12-2004 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Anyone owned or driven one.

Looking to change my car in the new year and this one is high on my list. Looking for some feedback on the car.

I'll get a couple of things out of the way first though

Only 2 seats and a tiny boot
    --> Don't mind as I never have more than a single passenger and in the last two years of owning my current car I have rarely opened the boot (except when some tosser threw a brick thought it)

--> No torque
    Again don't really mind te high revving engine. At least the mpg is acceptable when not in high revs. And the noise of a high revving n/a engine is pretty special, more so than turbos IMHO

Other than that though I have no real experiece with this car. anyone got anything to add

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Fuel consumption, when its in the vtec rev band is horrid. (15 euro in 45 miles).
    They handle beautifully, - really tight. And they look savage too.
    Have you any other cars considered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Other cars that I am thinking about are

Altezza RS200 (4pot 210hp BEAMS engine)
    Celica 190
    Focus RS

All these have decent insurance for me. Want to avoid the evo and WRX brigade as the insurance quotes are far too high

My budget will be between 25k and low 30s. No diesels, no repmobiles.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Is the Nissan 350z in that price range, or an rx8.
    Keep the coupes on the list, get rid of quick hatchbacks like focus rs. If you are going to spend that much, dont spend it on a focus, any focus, go and get some style...There must be a new celica due soon, as that one is getting on a bit now, the Altezza is way overpriced/underpowered.
    How about Porsce 964 model 911. For that money it will be a 90/91, might be too old for you, but they are a bit of class, and they go too!

I won't be taking anything over about 3-4 years old TBH, aparently the Celica is being discontinued in the US, might be the same here and in Japan also, new Supra on the way though ;).

Also these cars all give ok milage and have lowish engine sizes which help keeps the tax down.

350Z is still out of my price range second hand, porsche is too old, rx8 would be perfect but insurance is an issue on that one altough the S2000 is probably quicker (just)

Looking like the S2000 for me at the moment, also would like RWD so that sort of puts the focus and celica down the list

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i have never driven one, but by all means if you have the means <sic> go any buy one.

i think you would have to go far and wide to find a UNHAPPY S2000 owner.
    its honda engineering at its finest

have you considered importing from the uk?

as for a focus rs? why bother with them..... a S2000 is far more prestigious and when you want to sell on again, it wont lose much value IMO

• Advertisement

Yup, I'll have to import it from the UK, there is not much choice on the market here, probably go for black or silver with the red leather interior if I can find it

Don't know why but fancy it in yellow though
    media?id=102605699

or maybe red
    media?id=136138004

Oh the decisions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mcelligotts in tralee co.kerry are near me. they are the main merc and honda dealers in the land.

they have loads of expensive motors on show and i have seen some civic typre r's and s2000's there

get their number on the web, but having said that, you would prob save more going arosss the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Out of your list id go with the s2000!
    Other cars to consider would be nissan sylvia s15 2l turbo about 250 bhp and rear drive lovely looking motor and ultra rare in ireland but easily imported!
    You have the r34 skyline non gtr there extremely expensive to import but you have the 2.5 turbo rear drive option available for about 25k for a minter!
    If you could live with FWD you should consider the latest incarnation of the integra type r 2 litre 220 bhp and lovely looking to booth!

Silvia is a good choice, will have a look at that one, but the car itself doesn't feel that special especially inside. There is something nice about how driver oriented the S2000 looks

The Skyline GTR will be my 30th birthday present, so another 3 and a half years before that happens and I wouldn't consider anything less than a GTR anyway :D

Other thing is that the quote I have on the S2000 is cheap compared to any other performance car than I try to insure. Only thing is a got to cancel my AXA policy and move to hibernian and will lose €150 euros doing so. PITA

Sorry no front wheel drive even if that means not even considering the lovely teg type R

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I'd second, triple and quadruple the S2k... unless Mazda ever releases their 2.5 V6 MX5 (been on the cards for a while, but then nothing heard recently :( ).

How 'bout a TVR ? :D

tvr_chimaera_rear_3qtr.jpg

Admittedly, not as reliable as the Honda, but then... ;)

• Advertisement

I love tvr's,i love their attitude to building cars its just a pity there not as reliable as maybe they could be!
    Oh and almost forgot there is a 99 m coupe for sale for 29k in des kelly car centre amazing machines 3.2 n/a you wont be caught by much in one :cool:
    And in my opinion it will appreciate in a couple of years!

Scratch the above m coupe it appears to have been sold
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=175919

Oh and almost forgot there is a 99 m coupe for sale

Naaah - gotta be a ragtop. Only way to appreciate RWD motoring the old-fashioned way... ;) . Money's in bank, now I'm just waiting for the mid-life crisis to go with it :D

Had a go in the same above (open top Chimaera ) 3 years ago, OMG... Nothing I've driven before or since comes anywhere close (and yes, I have tried a S2k - quick, fun & solid but uncomfortably noisy on M'way + found buffeting with open top quite severe for such a modern car).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

25k would get you a glorious Coupé 20v Turbo and keep it in service for a few years, I've seen a fine titanium coloured example knocking about Dublin, I know you don't like the sound of a turbo but if you've ever heard one of these give it some stick you'll know what I'm on about.
    1meeting2.jpg

The coupe i love them pity the drive is throught the front wheels,still one of the most capable fwd cars in the world!

Mayshine wrote:
    Altezza RS200 (4pot 210hp BEAMS engine)

Not so interested by "sporty one", but thinking of a "standard" Altezza or Lexus IS200 as (family) replacement for my MX-5 + Scooby. Only going on rep' + looks at the moment, but they any good? I'm still deciding/fact-finding... Re. S2k experience, see my previous post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds like the Honda is the one to go for

It matches your requirements very well and fuel consumption is irrelevant compared to other costs such as depreciation and insurance provided you don't do a huge milage

Go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Love the S2000. Only alternative would be a Boxster S. But thats a lot more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Spent a lot of time with a 2000 model in South Africa. Superb car with my only complaint being the slightly skittish handling and the exhaust note becoming a monotonous drone when you're not in the VTEC rev range. I had no complaints about lack of torque and there is more than enough underneath the VTEC zone in normal driving. Fuel consumption isn't worse than any other 2 litre if you drive fairly conservatively.

When I say the handling is skittish, I mean that the car can and does bite if you're not careful (or very talented). The switch to oversteer can be very snappy and when you first get the car you'll feel thats its too darty and light feeling as the steering is very light for something with that much power. After you drive it for a few hundred kays, the sharp steering will make sense as the turn-in is excellent.

The interior is perfect - but then I prefer a fairly stripped down cockpit. This is not to say that its spartan in the way that an Elise is, but its not sumptuous as such. Good bucket seats that place you well down in the car, a small grippy wheel, a high tranmission tunnel (holding the best gearshift ever made) and the digital instruments and starter button (which some consider to be very cheesy).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

test999 wrote:
    I'd rather buy the same car, but half the age, in England and pay the VRT.

As long as it was from an area where they didn't salt the roads too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

10 grand can get you a 96 toyota MR2 MK2 turbo. dont know about the turbo for reliability but the n/a is perfect, beautifully built and looks really good.

Squirrel wrote:
    10 grand can get you a 96 toyota MR2 MK2 turbo. dont know about the turbo for reliability but the n/a is perfect, beautifully built and looks really good.

A T-Bar is not a coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

If you are interested in owning the first s15 silvia spec r to be registered in Ireland - drop me a pm .. its due in from Japan on the 20th Jan

Pic:

silvia_front.jpg

Thats a tempter. Let me call my insurers and see what the damage is likely to be :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Mayshine wrote:
    Thats a tempter. Let me call my insurers and see what the damage is likely to be :rolleyes:

It should be less than on an s2000 anyway ... the car is 2000 with 21,700miles - If you need any info I can be got on 0864008181

Advertisement