Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave more stable this weekend?

• 12-12-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Finding it difficult to lock on if I lose my connection but once locked on it's stable unless I turn off the wabbit.

Steady 20KBS down. Think they might have packet shaped me at that though the bástards!!!

Big improvement on last few weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Do you knowI was just going to post up a message, I had NO Ripwave service from later fri night to Sunday afternoon..just a flashing red. I was SO annoyed I am on the point of sending it back. I've only had it a few days and am NOT impressed, is this normal service for weekends???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Maybe i was using yourr bandwidth!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I had nothing on Saturday either. Sunday morning was great. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

God its disgraceful, how they have the nerve to call this service broadband is beyone me. Have just signed up for the free 3 month ESAT broadband deal.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had the same RIPWAVE probs ALL weekend.

Flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy....

Nealy threw the feckin thing out the window.
    If I had another option I'd take it.

Makes me feel better to know I wasn't the only one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I had the same RIPWAVE probs ALL weekend.

Flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy flashy....

Nealy threw the feckin thing out the window.
    If I had another option I'd take it.

Makes me feel better to know I wasn't the only one though.
    Do u not think its terrible paying IBB every month for a service u dont always have??? i think thats robbery. Thats why i got rid of ripwave, it doesnt do wat is advertised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I had no service almost all weekend either!

Has anyone managed to get a refund for down-time in the past? Is it worth trying?

IBB would be in debt for loads if people did. LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I was the same - friday evening, all day sat nothing. was away sat nite, and thankfully was back up again when I got back on sun afternoon. wierd thing was I could get an IP address fine, but couldn't resolve any domain names.... piece of ****.... wish my fone would take one of the others, or that NTL were out here yet...
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Been less than perfect most of the weekend for me, but I wasn't unable to connect at any stage. Been flying again since Sunday.

Where are you all living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

have had IBB for a bit more than 2 months now and this weekend was the first time i had any trouble with it. no access since sunday morning until some time today(just tried it when i came home from work it fine now). Still i cant complain to much, not to many BB SP offering no Download Cap and no contract.

gline wrote:
    Do u not think its terrible paying IBB every month for a service u dont always have??? i think thats robbery. Thats why i got rid of ripwave, it doesnt do wat is advertised
    I totally agree.

Problem is, for me and others here it's currently the only option. I live in Blackrock (kinda behind the Frascati centre). Eircom failed the line that used to be there (not paying rental for a dial up). Would pay any money for NTL but they haven't posted the magic card yet. I've harrassed the NTL helpline monkeys but of course they're not really in the loop.

Rock and a hard place. Sheesh!

BTW, there may no Ripwave "cap" - but if you can only connect 60% of the time they don't need one. ;)

BTW, there may no Ripwave "cap" - but if you can only connect 60% of the time they don't need one. ;)

Not true, Eircom only give a totally unrealistic 4 Gig Per Month, with Ripwave I go through more than that in a week. Even with a constant red (some times orange NEVER green) light. I Know loads of people have had problems with it but I’m happy I got it, im right on the border line as well (for the coverage). I’ve heard lots of bad stories about eircom and IOL as well although I haven’t heard any bad things about NTL yet (now if only they would get off there fricken asses and start to get some more coverage).

jessy wrote:
    4 Gig Per Month, with Ripwave I go through more than that in a week.
    Good for you.

I'm delighted to be sharing my bandwidth with you while you download... whatever it IS you download all night...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Good for you.

I'm delighted to be sharing my bandwidth with you while you download... whatever it IS you download all night...

;)

I think IBB should CAP their service, maybe without the 3Gig a day leeches we would all get a decent connection.

Adey2002 wrote:
    I think IBB should CAP their service, maybe without the 3Gig a day leeches we would all get a decent connection.
    hehehehehe, maybe so, but i think their selling point is "no cap"

I'm pretty sure their selling point is:

"You failed the Eircom test - NTL has it's thumb up it's butt - you're fcuked without us, aren't you??"

Ripwave AKA The Last Resort

Adey2002 wrote:

What has the amount of stuff other people download got to do with your poor conection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Right, so by limiting the amount of stuff people can download, the signal strength will get better around your area? I think not.

If you can't get a good signal, just return the damn modem! Its not gonna magically fix itself (i assume). Unless IBB plant a new tower in your back garden :p

If you can't get a good signal, just return the damn modem! Its not gonna magically fix itself (i assume). :p
    and thats exactly what IBB will tell u if your signal is crap, they will tell you to return the modem, there is nothing they can do if you cant recieve any signal

• Advertisement

If you can't get a good signal, just return the damn modem! Its not gonna magically fix itself (i assume).
    Actually, that's exactly what does happen on a good day.

And then you get crap speeds cos someone's downloading season one of "24" while in the bath... ;)

I'm against caps by the way (especially burberry ones with tracksuits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

I'm pretty sure their selling point is:

"You failed the Eircom test - NTL has it's thumb up it's butt - you're fcuked without us, aren't you??"

Ripwave AKA The Last Resort

Thats why i have it.

Downloading a 2.5mb file at 2.2kb at mo. 18 mins-ish pages taking days.
    The fu*kin light is GREEN!!! may give up and go to bed.

lost_lad wrote:
    Thats why i have it.

Downloading a 2.5mb file at 2.2kb at mo. 18 mins-ish pages taking days.
    The fu*kin light is GREEN!!! may give up and go to bed.
    How long since you reset the modem?

I reset it Saturday. Wasn't aware i had to do that regularly.
    Will do it when the file is finished. 2 mins to go.

I dont think theres anything that says you need to reset it often, but i find that if pages are starting to lag a bit then a reset or just turn it off for about 30sec then back on helps.

Just did it. Tested with downloading Nero start 56.0 KB/s
    Still not near 512 KB/s though....

Ok If your getting 56Kbytes/per sec then your nearly at the max. the 512k you see advertised is 512kbits / per sec there very different things(theres 8 bits in a byte so div the 512 by 8 and you close the the speed the you see in your download manager).

I see. Should watch my suffixes closer. Thank you jessy.
    I'm happy with Ripwave again. Didn't want to stay mad... :D

Advertisement