Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL2 SDK Compilation Problems

Options
  • 12-12-2004 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Anyone else suffering problems?

Downloaded and installed Visual C++ 2005 Beta with the .NET 2 Beta framework from Microsoft. (This was the recommended version to use, and all I could find...).

I setup the developer environment as specified in the setup instructions and set the build configuration to Release SDK.

On compilation I get...
    ------ Build started: Project: client, Configuration: Release SDK Win32 ------
    Compiling...
    cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Og' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
    stdafx.cpp
    ..\public\tier0\dbg.h(482) : warning C4996: '_vsnprintf' was declared deprecated
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\stdio.h(304) : see declaration of '_vsnprintf'
    ..\public\vstdlib\strtools.h(90) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
            Conversion loses qualifiers
    ..\public\vstdlib\strtools.h(93) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
    Creating browse information file...
    Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.40607
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Release_SDK\activitylist.sbr': No such file or directory
    Build log was saved at "file://c:\DeadFlesh\src\cl_dll\Release_SDK\BuildLog.htm"
    client - 3 error(s), 2 warning(s)
    ------ Build started: Project: hl, Configuration: Release SDK Win32 ------
    Compiling...
    cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Og' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
    stdafx.cpp
    ../public\tier0\dbg.h(482) : warning C4996: '_vsnprintf' was declared deprecated
            C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\stdio.h(304) : see declaration of '_vsnprintf'
    ../public\vstdlib\strtools.h(90) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
    ../public\vstdlib\strtools.h(93) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
    Creating browse information file...
    Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.40607
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Release_SDK\activitylist.sbr': No such file or directory
    Build log was saved at "file://c:\DeadFlesh\src\dlls\Release_SDK\BuildLog.htm"
    hl - 3 error(s), 2 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm at a loss :( Any help lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

What exactly are you trying to do? Compile code?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aye, build the initial code into at least working dlls, so I have a point from which to start.
    No point going on with coding if the supplied code doesn't compile right... Any ideas?

Your talking to the wrong person here mate :(

I'll see if my programming friend can make heads or tails of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

../public\vstdlib\strtools.h(90) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
    ../public\vstdlib\strtools.h(93) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
    you have two return statements that return the wrong data-type; your trying to return a value which is of the data type "const char *", whereas the function requires a "char *" return value.

Change the datatype, or at least show us the code, not the error message. cant do much with an error message.

edit: this is a VC++ problem, and should probably me moved to that forum (programming).

K, thanks, its just I haven't changed anything yet! Oh well, more figthing with it to be done! Yarr!

• Advertisement

I'll move it over to the programming board so :)

MOOOVED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The recommended version to use is VS 7.1 , ie C++ .Net 2003.

It builds without issues. Unfortunately only parts of 2003 are free, including the compiler, excluding the IDE. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/)

You should be able to get the 2005 IDE to work with the 2003 compiler (Tools / Options /Projects /VC++ Directories), but that's a guess, it might be restricted. Otherwise you can use another ide or the command line to do the build stage, copying the project build commands from those included in the solution file.

Thanks for the tips, downloading the toolkit now and will see how I get on. :) Thanking you very much kind sir :) And thanks DRakE for moving it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Advertisement