Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead

Options
  • 12-12-2004 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

What a truely TRUELY magnificent band!!! i used to always think of their music as kind of depressing, well it is really :D But the songwriting talent they have as a band is just exceptional..

Just thought i'd share that with everyone :p

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Radiohead are ok. But I never really got into them, so I can't really say. But the songs I've heard have been decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Don't have any of their albums, but must say, some of their pieces of music are brilliant, like the middle part of Paranoid Android.

What's the song with the video where that guy is lying on the ground, and everyone stops to ask why he's doing it? Can't remember the song, but brilliant video, i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

brill band.. love 'em.. went to see gig in Punchestown.. and then the one in Belfast.. absolutely excellent!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Lordchessington - song is called 'just'.
    Radiohead have some brilliant albums - the bends, ok computer and i really like the latest one, hail to the thief.
    Johnny Greenwood makes that band. I know thom yorke has quite a unique voice and they're great as a unit, but when i listen to them its just the guitars that stand out to me. Just the way i see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

greenwood's a true master of his effects. He knows how to use them in such a way as they really add something to the music. That's something few guitarists can really do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Probably the best band, musically, in the world - although I do sometimes wonder about their lyrics.

The combination of the Greenwoods and Yorke are what make the band (taking nothing away from Ed O'Brien or Phil Selway) - listening to Yorkes work with UNCLE and PJ Harvey you realise how much his voice ads.

For me best songs:
    My Iron Lung (can you imagine kicking into that guitar riff in front of a few thousand people?)
    Just
    Paranoid Android
    Pyramid Song
    How to disappear completely
    There There
    Idioteque

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The first time I ever heard Radiohead was on a free giveaway casette from a long defunct magazine. Most of the time they were rubbish and I usually just binned them without listening, but for some reason I listened to the one that had "Creep" on it. It had already been released as a single and faded into oblivion a couple of times at that stage and it was quite a while later before the song was a hit. All I can say is that no song before or since has ever made the hair on the back of my neck stand up quite like it did on that first listening.

Since then I've seen them live 5 times (was at Punchestown too Cork_Girl - the last night - coldest I think I've ever been), including been fortunate enough to see them in the Olympia twice (before the Bends and again last year). I have never been disappointed at one of their gigs, even in the Point with its "suspect" acoustics. They are without a doubt the most explosive band I have ever seen live and while some of their more recent stuff can lead to a bit of head-scratching, there is no doubting that they are the most innovative major act around at the moment.

And just to prove how cool they really are, they took their name from a song by the actual greatest band in the world, Talking Heads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I never really got into them until Kid A but my god are their last four albums deadly! OK Computer is excellent but Kid A/Amnesiac are the albums they'll be remembered for in my mind.

I like a lot of Kid A and Amnesiac, but it did take a while to grow on me. However, played live those songs turn into something truly amazing. If you haven't got it already I'd seriously recommend I Might Be Wrong. There's also a Ukranian website where you can download a bootleg of a gig in Sydney from 2003. Quality isn't too bad considering what it is and it costs about $5 for all the tracks. PM me if you want it and I'll dig it out tomorrow (not sure of the legality of links to sites with bootlegs on it so I don't want to upset anyone).

I should also add that my actual favourite Radiohead album is The Bends - it'll be a long time before they top that, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Bends is my best album ever , best gig i ever seen was them in Olympia last year.

Always wondered what "Greenword: Radio " on albums credit list meant , found out that night :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My favourite band still. I've got all the albums and, I think, all the b-sides as well. I've even got somewhere a couple of their tracks from when they were called On A Friday, including "Phillipa Chicken" (bet they don't get that one requested very often!). Given the huge amount involved, it's too difficult to pick a favourite song/track but the one that got me listening was "Street Spirit" - beautiful song and a gorgeous video to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I like "True Love Waits". "Paranoid Android" is epic and the lyrics to "karma police" are fun.

Saw them in the point last year. First time but not the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Also my favourite band. Ixoy, Phillipa Chicken is a great song! I managed to get my hands on most of (if not all at this stage) of the towering above the rest collection.
    I must admit that Kid A and Amnesiac took a while of listening to get used to, but there are some unmissable tracks on those albums. Hearing "Like Spinning Plates" played live on the live album I Might Be Wrong....it's amazing..

I was one of the people who tagged them as horribly depressing before I even listened to their music, and got into them quite late (First album I got was Kid A, not an easy starter) but they are my favourite band, and I think they will remain my favourite band.

I don't really have a definite favourite song, but seeing Thom playing "Big Ideas" acoustically at the Point was a very special moment for me, as I really realised just how much I like this band.

Missed the Olympia :(

Click here for a site with some live Radiohead mp3 downloads (not bootlegs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'd say they're one the best bands going at the moment and certainly one of my all time favourites. They always manage to successfully reinvent themselves with each album which is something a lot of artists strive to do yet fail nearly all of the time.
    I started with The Bends but never really got into it. It was about a year later I came back to it and started listening to it fanatically. Superb album alltogether, pretty much flawless, with a great range of styles in the songs. My Iron Lung is my favourite track.

Though over time I've started to prefer OK Computer. It really doesn't get any better than Subterranean Homesick Alien, Airbag, Climbing up the walls and Paranoid Android tbh.

Kid A is also an amazing piece of work. I remember when this came out there was a lot of division amongst the fans over the shift in the genre. I have to say I was one who stood on the 'hate it' side of the fence...at first. However eventually I changed. Like another poster said it took a lot of listen but I eventually began to love Kid A, Optimistic and National Anthem especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've followed radiohead since the first time i heard them on dave fanning show.. went straight out the next day and bought 'pablo honey'... hooked ever since.

With each album they just get better and better... they keep on evolving. the only other band i think who have done this are the beatles.. and that is saying something.

seen them on a good few occasions over the years at various festivals and their gigs...

last year at the point on the 'hail to the thief' tour... as one of the other posters mentioned about the radio being played... it was class... he put it through a delay pedal... it was tuned into radio na gaeltachta.. it sounded class...

'here here' was amazing... best band ever? possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭klap trap

i dunno i've always thought of them as a poor man's muse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

klap trap wrote:

What the hell you talkin bout? Muse are nowhere near as good as Radiohead.

Been listenin to Radiohead since Pablo and every album just gets better and better. The only band at the minute that makes odd metre sound natural to the songs, can write truly amazing songs like "Paranoid Anderoid" , "How to dissapear completely" and "Pyramid Song"(to name but a few), and can also arrange orchestrations to suit the atmosphere the wish to create.

LONG LIVE RADIOHEAD!!!!

Surely the descriptive comparison "a poor man's..." is only used when comparing a later band to an earlier, more influential one? If, therefore, you had said that Muse were a poor man's Radiohead it would have made more sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

klap trap wrote:

Rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

klap trap wrote:

0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭klap trap

zaph wrote:
    Surely the descriptive comparison "a poor man's..." is only used when comparing a later band to an earlier, more influential one? If, therefore, you had said that Muse were a poor man's Radiohead it would have made more sense...

perhaps, but since my point was that i think muse are better, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense either... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

You cant compare Muse and Radiohead anymore. Muse have evolved into their own style and a different one to radiohead. I personally prefer Muse though, Radiohead are too depressing to listen to while Muse are uplifting and energetic. (in most of their songs anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Muse are far more angsty than Radiohead I always thought. I prefer Radiohead. They're a far more intelligent and interesting band to listen to from my perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The olymipa gig last year was my favourite gig of all time
    It amazing how much they haven evolved over the years I have some on a Friday stuff coparing that yo Kid A is astonishing its the same band.
    In years to come we will be telling our grankids we saw one of the all time great bands live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 johnscone

:eek:
    Rubbish!

radiohead a poor man's muse , well i'm just speechless , good think i can still type though so i can completely disagree with you,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

muse > radiohead = the craziest thing iv ever head..
    muse got so samey after the first album...
    i like them but..no way better than radiohead.

and yes radiohead rule,
    still producing excellent albums :D
    *touch wood* hopefully will continue to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Radiohead are good at what they do, its not my cup of tea and they do depress the hell out of me, but that video(can't remember the name of the song) where everybody ends up lying on the road is excellent, very eerie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

ether wrote:
    Radiohead are good at what they do, its not my cup of tea and they do depress the hell out of me, but that video(can't remember the name of the song) where everybody ends up lying on the road is excellent, very eerie!

just

love that song and video.
    really like the go to sleep video aswell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

ether wrote:
    they do depress the hell out of me

Have you listened to Thoms words?

"dance you ****er ,dance you ****er,don't you dare, don't you dare ,don't you flan in the face" lyrics like that bring nothing but a smile to my face....

Maybe i'm just weird.............................................. :eek:

Advertisement