Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Amp Advice Needed!

Options
  • 08-08-2001 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Well after all the talking I've finally managed to save up for my new guitar amp. biggrin.gif

I'm going to blow somewhere between £300-£500 on it! So does anybody here have any suggestions, recommendations etc on what’s good and what’s bad in an amp for around that price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

it really depends on what type you're looking for eg: what you will be using it for and what kind of music you want to play on it..

you could probably pick yourself up a nice secondhand Fender Twin for around £500...

http://www.fender.com/FrontlineExtra/product/show.php?partno=0215700000

[This message has been edited by jes (edited 08-08-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One name:
    MARSHALL!!!!

Buy the best you can for whatever you can afford Tom - you will not regret it.

I wuv my Valvestate 265.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Listen to Dav...

MARSHALL!!!

Actualy... I need a new one too...
    Might be able to get £30 for my old amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Yeah I was defo leaning towards Marshall but I don't want a vavlestate. I don't know but alot of my musical peers say I'm better off getting a valve amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The FANJ:
    Yeah I was defo leaning towards Marshall but I don't want a vavlestate. I don't know but alot of my musical peers say I'm better off getting a valve amp.</font>

My valvestate serves me well... Get a marshal no matter what, they're the undisputed kings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭AI_inferno

It depends really what you want sound wise - valves are nearly always better no matter what but they are a hell of a lot more expensive. Valvestate amps can sound kind of thin by comparison to valve amps - what type of mush are you playing and what guitar will it be going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

mmmm ... MesaBoogie amps ... teeheehee

ANyone have any ideas of prices for those things? I've heard the sound of them is evil!!

marshal are good though .. had my eye on a JCM900 2x12 for a while ... just didn't have my other eye on the £700 or so biggrin.gif lol

So I'm stuck with a little sunn amp ... actually I quite like it. Its 38w, portable, and is DISGRACEFULLY loud for what it is!! MWWUAAHAHAAHAA

[This message has been edited by Lemming (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

if ya don't have the cash to go for a proper valve amp, get yourself a line 6, the flextone II is da bomb. the most versatile amp out there i dare say, and if ya get the big floorboard thingy with it your sorted, has all the POD features in it too. it's the business.

check out the offcial blurb on it

...course if ya gots lotsa cash to burn and wanna rock out heavy stylee, get yourself a big-ass marshall stack smile.gif

I play everything and anything really. I'm playing on a strat at the moment. I generally like to set up the guitar as clean as possible then add distortion via pedals etc. I'll be going in later today to pick one but thanks for the advice lads.

Well Kharn it looks like your the winner. tongue.gif

I went for a Marshall Valvestate AVT 2000.

I spent around two hours playing different amps and it did really stand out. The only other rival was a Peavy I played in Waltons. It was cheaper but the Marshall just seemed to offer so much more.

I am now the pround owner of a very ****ing heavy (had to carry the thing from Music Maker up to Christchurch) Marshall amp but am also down £400.

Happy days biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

When's yer first gig FanJ? wink.gif

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Randall all the way!

http://randallamplifiers.com/product/amps/warheadfs.htm

THE WEAK ARE KILLED THEN EATEN FIREdevil.gifcrucified.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

played Tom!

My mate just got one of those too - I've heard nothing but great things about it (haven't hard it yet).

Good luck and enjoy man!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

sorry used wolf's account by mistake FANJ. :/

[This message has been edited by [-UK-]Wolf (edited 10-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

GGGGGGRRRRR FFS it keeps changing my pass back to Wolf's. I'll try again

FANJ

[This message has been edited by [-UK-]Wolf (edited 10-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucutus:
    When's yer first gig FanJ? wink.gif</font>

Don't know still working on some material and need a good solo name somthing along the lines of

Thomas P Fanning
    Thom Fanning
    Hank Murdock.

Which do you think is best?

If any of your are interested this is the amp here http://www.marshallamps.com/images/avt2000/avt50.html

I have yet to give it a really good breaking in but I should get a chance to turn it up to eleven later today. I'm still very impressed with what I've seen and done with it so far. It really does sound very close to a valve amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Huh?

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MiLk

marshall amps suck, VOX AC-30 is my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

That looks like a nice amp Fanj. Im saving for something in a similiar range. Ill keep that in mind for sure.

Advertisement