Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

• 12-12-2004 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

We are thinking about getting satellite BB installed. I don't know who offers the best service. Did a bit of a google a while ago and found a company but the site looked like it was developed by a 12 year old, dodgy.
    What I'm looking for is a rental of no more than €120/month
    Decent download cap.
    Good support.
    Because of where I live satellite is our only option.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Satellite broadband is not broadband as the rest of th world knows it.
    Where abouts are you based? Maybe you could get wireless via the irishwan network. Although broadband provision is not one of their objectives as such, someone may be able to share a connection with you if you are in a position to hook up to the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you plan to do anything realtime, you're in for a disappoint.

Over the long-term, it might be a better idea to get a bit of a WLAN project going.

Have a look at www.irishwan.org/board and see if there's anyone *remotely* close to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Satellite BB is no use at all for gaming or other low latency purposes, one way satellite will add nearly a second on to any pings and two-way will add double that.

2 way satellite requires a special dish + expensive hardware + professional installation so there is a big upfront cost €500 - €1000 AFAIR.

One way is cheaper, a simple DVB card can be got for about €30 and a standard 80cm dish + universal LNB is about €100 + installation.
    One way will require a return path so factor a dial-up connection into the monthly cost.

I am sure a very high cap product can be got for much less than €120 in either 2-way or 1-way + unmetered dial-up.

How suited you are to satellite really depends on what you use it for, I had a one way service for two years and it was fine for my purposes. For downloading it is perfect and I found it much better than dial-up for browsing most of the time. Graphic heavy pages load quickly but for things like boards (at least the lighter previous version) it was not always a huge improvement on dial-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Thanks for the replies.

I know about the latency with satellite BB. That doesn't bother me, not an online gamer at all.

I did think about wireless access but where I live I'm not sure if that is even possible. Line of sight would be a major issue. Our house is half way up a hill and another hill is directly across from us. Basicly we live in a valley.
    I will still check out Irish WAN and see if there is a solution.

John R, installation costs aren't too much of prob. Willing to spend up to about €500.

Eurorunner, I'm based in north Tipperary in a village called Borrisoleigh.

Advertisement