Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 95 Question

• 13-12-2004 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Buddy gave me his old old comp the other day to put 95 back on it because he gave it to some idiot who put 98 and deleted all the drivers?????
    But in the hope that 95 would solve the prob it wont load (could be the disc)
    But here is the prob win 98 loads first whip from the cd- Win 95 nada,nothing.
    95 bootdisk nothing just wont recognize d: as a drive.
    Dos startup disk same thing.

Checked all the jumpers BIOS and all that but i dont know.Anyone?

By the way the guy who last fixed there comp put a Qtec 300W and charged them 100 for this mess,so im following a cowboys work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Just download replacement drivers off the net and leave 98 on it
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Man i have tried every blood driver under the sun for it. Built in sound and Graphics-Crowd called Biostar its a m7vkq mobo. Outta ideas open to some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Think this is them Drivers
    Pete

Y ahad a go at some of them i think here is another .....
    This looks like the board but i know its not because of the amount of USB and the front audio and all that. Its only got 2 USB in the back.
    So sick of it. Cheers for the link might call it a night and try again tomor.
    Cheers
    Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Check on the motherboard itself for a serial number... there'll be one on it there somewhere... google it and put a term like 'drivers' after it... you'll find them eventually.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote:
    eventually.

Dont like that word :(
    But ya il keep looking. Thanx Pete,had a look through that manual it seems to be the one alright cheers man.
    Im f*ckin off ta bed now il try tomor.Cheers lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

AFAIK (it's been a while) The windows 95 cd is not bootable.
    You have to boot off a floppy (with cd drivers and cdex).

http://www.bootdisk.org/ will sort you out.

However, Windows 95 has fewer drivers built in than 98 so I would hang on to 98 if I werer you - check the board for a model number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

there might be the problem too that coz the drive was probably FDISKED and FORMATTED using Win 98 that it won't recognise Win 95 til it's booted with a 95 boot disk as suggested above and then FDISK and FORMAT. Dunno about the drivers tho!!
    It's soo long ago i can hardly remember what win 95 was like! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First thing 95 setup does is to remove the DOS drivers for CD, which sorta paints you into a corner - Structured walk through of upgrade process at design stage anyone ?? /RANT

What can you boot into - 98 or C: or A: ?

If you can boot into C: edit config.sys and look for a line like
    Rem device=oakcd.sys /D:MSCD001
    remove the REM

in autoexec.bat there should be a coresponding line
    REM mscdex /D:MSCD001
    again remove the REM

or Get a windows 98 floppy or CD - it should recognise D:

When you can see D:
    c:
    md win95
    cd win95
    copy d:\win95\*.*

then setup /? for options
    setup /im /iq /is IIRC saves a bit of time

Got it goin in 98 SE in the end bar the sound driver but il keep looking.
    Cheers for all the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement