Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new forum

Options
  • 13-12-2004 6:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

I know this may have been done to death already, but I've had loads of time to think about and refine the original request.

I think a spirituality forum is needed because...
    There are so many individual beliefs here which are currently confined within their own particular (non-interactive) forums; ie: christianity or buddhism or paganism and within each, specific "truths" are held.
    A spirituality forum would support the removal of such parametres by embracing them all under the one roof and as there would be no defined truth as such, anyone from any faith could input information to specific questions such as this one.
    This can only lead to constructive exchanges of information, rather than crtical debates of which faith/way is the right one. They are all equally acceptable and so offer many perspectives.

The only rules would be the same as those laid down in any forum, no spamming, trolling, flamming..etc..
    but there is no defined "correct faith" attitude to adhere to.

imagine a place where you could discuss theology, philosophy/theosophy, mysticism, christianity, buddhism, paganism, judaism, hinduism and whatever else is out there, just for the sharing of information and without the fear of being ostracised from the forum because your beliefs don't match the moderators of a specific community.

could this work?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I guess its a reasonable idea. It's tough to get it right though.

The definitions I see for Spirituality:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Spirituality

...some of those definitions carry conotations I don't really like.

Personally, I would like an agnostics forum, cause to me the most interesting people are those who refuse to answer any questions. But I don't think there'd be adequate discussion in such a forum by itself [you sort of need conflicting views for a forum to be interesting...one of the reasons christianity is a tough one to mod] so I guess spirituality would be an idea.

Would a <insert religion type here> person be comfortable posting in a forum who's charter explicity states that no religion is right/wrong? <--it seems like a possible recipe for long drawn out flame wars; ones steeped in peoples own belief systems, whatever they be.

But I don't know. I guess I would like a place to throw up my beliefs and have people comment on them. I'd like to be able to openly criticise religions I don't like. It's all intensely personal stuff, but I think it could work with thoughtful moderation.

oh, and shouldn't this be in forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

What's wrong with the Forums forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

I agree, it would have to be moderated thoughtfully.
    I would though stress that its not really a case of denying others truths, its about tolerating and appreciating each to their own, I believe they all have something valuable to offer and as agnostic it would be an appropriate place to consider and question various forms of belief.
    I think that with so many places of refuge for insanity and intolerance in place on boards, that there should be a place for tolerance and respect too.
    I would like to think that most of the faiths I listed intended to promote peace originally, it would be nice if that could be the basis of such a forum.

I know I could have put this in forums but I noticed this in the "how this forum works thread"
    Dev wrote:
    This is also the place where you suggestion the creation of new forum
    and as this place generates more traffic I thought to put it here, if the moderators want to move it..grand.

uhm..and while it would be nice to have a "LoVe, HapPy PeACe" forum, I think that the most general requirement of such a forum is dealing with the immaterial, or as the dictionary definition suggests spirituality in its most basic form
    concern with things of the spirit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

I support this forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

dangerman wrote:
    ...some of those definitions carry conotations I don't really like.

At a guess I'd say the connotations you don't like are to do with specific instances of spiritualism. I think what Keu is talking about is a forum where anything from christianity to paganism to agnostocism to shoe-lace worship (let's face it, where would we be without them!) can be discussed. If it is, I'm in favour of it. If not, any chance of a "worshipping random objects" forum (I don't want to limit people to just shoe-laces but the object definitly has to be random) ?

blessed be the shoe lace worshippers.

Amen.

k thats fine. as long as it is a wide definition, and not some of the narrow god fearing definitions i came across. thumbs up.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

keu wrote:
    I know I could have put this in forums but I noticed this in the "how this forum works thread" and as this place generates more traffic I thought to put it here, if the moderators want to move it..grand.

That's not a reason tbh.
    If everyone had that attitude we'd all be posting in After Hours and have seamus, Trojan et al moving all the threads to the relevant forums.

And I can GUARANTEE you they wouldn't be best pleased about that.

Originally Posted by Dev
    This is also the place where you suggestion the creation of new forum
    I think thats a perfectly valid reason.

• Advertisement

right, whats happened is since that was written a specific 'forums' forum has been created keu, so thats why it should go in there.

Its ok, can we just have it moved, as opposed to a big hoo-hah over the fact that its in the wrong forum, cause I would like to see proper discussion of whether this forum could work.

k..Dev might want to change the charter tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

....case of 3rd time lucky it would seem.

dangerman wrote:
    right, whats happened is since that was written a specific 'forums' forum has been created keu, so thats why it should go in there.
    not to be sniping at random points but Keu knows well theres a forums forum, the spirituality forum has been suggested ...twice i think? (once by stevenmu and once by Keu in a form that slowly transmutated into a spirituality forum idea iirc) - there were a number of pro's and cons raised there so i'll link to those two threads in a minute or two.

i'll put this up in forums forum...
    yesterday I was reading some of the other threads here requesting forums and after reading the charter I saw that this was permitted so I went ahead knowing that it was within the rules.

edit: feel free to linkage the other threads on this topic in forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Hasn't this been suggested a few times now, to general disapproval?

Hang on, weren't you banned keu?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I think a Spirituality forum is a great idea, something that isn't covered by any of the other forums.. and generally there is a genuine interest on behalf of many users in the topic.

It would be an extremely tough one to mod however.. as I can imagine quite a lot of trolling by people only taking the pi$$.. spirituality is an area imo where if people have an interest they respect other peoples opinions.. and those who don't may get a bigger kick out of dissing those who do.

Hasn't this been suggested a few times now, to general disapproval?

Hang on, weren't you banned keu?

a. Yes, has been suggested twice before and no, it was to general approval.
    B. Yes, but it had nothing to do with the suggestion of this forum and I'm no longer banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=191926&page=1&pp=20
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183580

I count 17 in support of this forum
    Cloud wrote:
    Anyone else for Spirituality?
    how many do we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

I support it, but I don't remember much support when I requested a similar forum recently.
    Great news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I approve/endorse
    Oh,and welcome back

• Advertisement

ty.
    I just want to add some info. I know a lot of people think that suggesting a forum automatically entitles you to modship but I genuinely am not interested in that aspect of it, It's purely out of creating a place for likeminded discussion.
    If considering mods, I would think someone like pam and her five sisters (but I know she's very busy with other forums) or Gordon would be suitable...sensible people that they are.

edit or dangerman or stevenmu??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

actually suggesting a forum DISQUALIFIES you from modship. and for this the large question is who really has the time to mod something so flameworthy (and oh god it will be, whether people intend to flame or not it'll get awkward).

also Keu was banned for personal abuse via the rep system as I remember.

also, i'd prefer if you didnt just ignore the negative constructive critisicm and instead actually interpreted it into the idea, instead of just ignoring anything that doesnt fit your idea of life.

please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/edit wrong thread

Modified wrote:
    attentionwhore.jpg

really unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Oops sorry, posted this in wrong thread.
    Meant to post it here because
    1. she has a number of forum request threads at the moment
    2. the one linked to is lame

I'll post it in correct thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

She.

Allegedly.

She's also quite, quite mad but don't let that stop you.

actually suggesting a forum DISQUALIFIES you from modship. and for this the large question is who really has the time to mod something so flameworthy (and oh god it will be, whether people intend to flame or not it'll get awkward).

also Keu was banned for personal abuse via the rep system as I remember.

also, i'd prefer if you didnt just ignore the negative constructive critisicm and instead actually interpreted it into the idea, instead of just ignoring anything that doesnt fit your idea of life.

anything else constructive to add to the thought of a spirituality forum or are you all trolled out from the previous three threads?

and if it is a case of not having anyone suitable to mod such a forum then I would consider that a very valid reason for not having one atm. Admin might confirm this and we can put the idea to sleep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is there any chance that people could keep their stupid petty grudges to themselves and leave the thread to people with a genuine interest in it, be they for or against it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

go for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

when is the Forum going to be up.
    Whgo are the mods?

Advertisement