Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE destroyed after dialler incident

• 13-12-2004 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

ok my Internet explorer on my desktop (running 98) is after being destroyed thanks to a dialler related to CoolWWSearch. Everything is coming up as a trusted site and I keep deleting two sites (at college so can't remember the names) from the trusted site list and they keep reappearing! Is it possible they're reporting back form data etc :eek: ??

I've removed most of CoolWWSearch but am still getting CoolWWSearch.googlems and i cant remove it with Spybot S&D also used adaware

the dialler was installed two nites ago through a pop up php window and my comp was infected with Dropper.ini....was duley removed with avg also ran stinger and nothing came up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Look for a program called CWS Shredder to remove the coolwebsearch. In my experience, none of the adware remover progs have removed it or at least if they did they didn't do it properly. Shredder should do the trick.

As for IE, if it is still broken, the best thing to do is reinstall it, repair it (through add/remove) or update to ie6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

ok but will reinstalling IE completely make it secure??? it's just my dad uses it for internet banking and I have to be sure that it's not sending data to sites it shouldn't....that is to say will removing IE get rid of the settings or are they stored throughout the system?? Just would imagine IE is spidered throughout the system and be difficult to get all of it??

sorry 4 bein such a n00b, apologies! :rolleyes:

Well repairing restores all default system files. If it's win98 then you can do this by going to uninstall the program and selecting repair.

Personally the best thing to do to ensure nothing is lost (if there are crucial settings there somewhere) is to update to IE6 from www.microsoft.com

HOWEVER! I suspect all will be ok though once you remove the coolwebsearch bar with the shredder program. You may not need to reinstall or repair anything.

As for encryption, that should be fine if you just upgrade to ie6 like i suggested. IE5 tends to come with 40 or 56bit encryption. For banking you'll need 128bit which is already available in Internet Explorer 6. Otherwise an encryption pack can be found for IE 4 or 5 at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.mspx to increase the security to 128bit.

Sorry for overcomplicating it :P

no no , not ur fault prob is it's already IE6 sp1!!!! I cud try to reinstall it and see what happens! neway will see how it goes thanks for the info!!

Well then in that case you might be able to try the repair feature i mentioned which should restore ie6 back to the way it was once you installed it

• Advertisement

will try that...thanks again

Advertisement