Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Maintenance Course

Options
  • 13-12-2004 11:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody done a "beginners" car maintenence course that they'd recommend?
    Looking to sign up for one in the Dublin area. Something like an evening course one night a week.

Thinking of having a dip in the classic car market this year, but would like to know something before throwing my cash away... ;)

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

CHEERS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I did one a few years back, it was very basic (read: if you know anything at all, you've probably got it covered already). The closest thing to hands on was a couple of knackered parts being handed around the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wonder if theres anything for the "basic knowledged" person out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My sister did an evening course some years back and its fair to say she knew no more by the end! (but maybe thats just her)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I did one in St John's College in Cork where we got to do loads of practical stuff......once. Small service on a Punto, Civic and Lancer type of thing. Tbh I'd have preferred to spend more time on the basic stuff like that than go onto the more advanced stuff we did. I did learn a lot though - it's a case of practise, practise, practise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Blitzkrieger, your course sounds good however Cork isn't an option...
    Will look into some Dublin ones keeping in mind the other experiences talked about here.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If ya find anything out, let me know as Id like to be able to do a few bits and pieces
    with the car rather than go running to the nearest mechanic everytime I see something
    wrong.

Tox

Has anyone heard about the course in Stillorgan College V.E.C?

There's an 8 week course (2hrs every Thursday evening) entitled "Know Your Car" starting on the 3rd Feb described as:

"Learn about the workings of a car and how to carry out routine maintenance".

Probably gonna sign up unless I hear it's completely basic (like how to fill your car with petrol ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

best bet is get some old junker for a tenner. and atemppt to remove timing belt/ water pump and replace it without wrecking everything. next disasemble and reasemble the brakes etc. next try to remove the gearbox and disasemble the clutch. still u need a driveway and nice weather or a big shed to do any of this. but this is the best way for sure. of course everyone may think ur mental.

hey lomb,

I'm glad I didn't post looking for advice on becoming a surgeon.
    "Just get a hold of any old body, and try and replace the heart and liver..."

;)

I've got a lump of metal in front of my house. (Anyone want to buy a 1989 Audi 80 with a gasket issue?) Disassembling it will only tell me what I already know - namely that I haven't a clue. Maybe I'll open her up in the name of science...

Heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get yourself a Haynes manual for the Audi and your set hours of fun taking things apart and puting them back together (complete with the mystery spare nut/bolt/washer at the end!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement