Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate Emails in Exchange 2003

• 13-12-2004 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I need a little advice.

I'm running Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 and every time I run a weekly backup using Arcserve Brightstor 9.0 duplicate emails are resent to all the inboxes.

Inorder to backup the EDB I must stop IIS6.0 and all the MSExchange services. Once the backup is taken, these services are restarted. Everything works well until this point. Then emails from the past week are resent.

Has anyone any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

are you are doing an off line backup rather than using an Exchange agent ??
    If so then the transaction logs aren't cleared down since exchange isn't marking stuff as having being backed up.

Or you have the backup set to COPY or DIFF rather than FULL or INCE and the mails aren't being marked as being backed up.

The in either case if then the services aren't closed down cleanly esp the store [what is going one in the event viewer - application - ESE ] it might be going into revocery mode and playing back all the transactions.

Have a look at the logs - they will all be 5MB each, but how many are there ? the total size will give you an idea of how many emails could be sent into the queues ..

Use NTbackup to do an INCR backup to a file (it's painful with tapes) this should mark all the mails as having being backed up and you will get an idea from the size of the file how many emails exchange thinks aren't backed up. Or better still if you have the time and space do a FULL bakup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There should be no need for all that offline backup stuff and stopping of services. Use an Exchange agent if there is one available with that Arcserve product.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ktoal

I use the Exchange Agent during the week (Mon-Thur) however every Friday night I take the EDB offline and take a full backup. This requires me to shutdown all the MSExchange Services including IIS6.0.

I've been looking over the logs and I've noticed somethign strange. When the batch script is run (I use this to shutdown all the required services) IIS generates an error :

"IIS Reset encountered an error while stopping services. The logged data is the status code. Since the force option is on, IIS Reset will now terminate the services' processes. This may cause SCM to report errors about the services exiting."

I have a feeling that because IIS has problems shutting down, when the start script is run, there is a rollback and all recent transactions are reposted.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Advertisement