Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking problem

Options
  • 13-12-2004 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

am in office and we recently got broadband in. Now the network had been hobbling along untill then but had to be reconfigured (to how it is meant to be setup) to get it working with Broadband. Anyway's got broadband working on the network and all the the machines had been fine but then had to add new machine to network and that seemed to throw off another machine. now me have broadband and 5 computers which can see each other and the net and one that just won't play with the others,

The os's are

Server, Win 2000 server edition
    2 clients Win 98 (working)
    1 Client win 2000 (Working)
    1 client Win xp (working)
    1 Client Win 2000 (in a huff and not talking to anybody else)

I swapped out the network card and tried a different one, although there didn't seem to be any problems with it. The lights are on and it seems to be fine. Any help, Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

From your post it appears that the problem began when you put a new PC on the network, is that correct? If so, have you tried removing that PC from the network to see what happens?

What are the IP addresses? How are they assigned? Is there an IP address conflict?

Can you ping to or from the offending PC?

Could it be a physical problem? Have you tried plugging a working PC into the network socket that is being used by the offending PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

I'ts correct the the problem started when the new pc was put on the network,

there shouldn't be an ip. conflice as they are dynamically assigned and there is a range of 50 for 6 machines to choose from, Have now got a bigger problem as the offending machine will no longer let me in with the network admin password and is only accepting the machine one. this is trouble as the guy who set these up has left the company a few years ago. Have swopped cables with the pc's to no avail and also as I mentioned changed network cards. my skills are weak and puny so all help is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

It sounds like all the hardware is fine, but usually when something like that happens its a problem with the ip addresses, check them just to be sure, even assign them their own static ones if necessary. Also check the subnet that the trouble machine is on too. If you're locked out, you could probably do with wiping that machine thats giving you trouble, and setting it from scratch. You could also try connecting a working pc to the trouble pc using a cross over cable and see if you can ping it. That'll let you know if there's a problem with the machine itself.

Thanks will try that otherwise the machine may feel depressed and jump off the desk it will be missed terribly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

there shouldn't be an ip. conflice as they are dynamically assigned and there is a range of 50 for 6 machines to choose from
    Ok, but have you actually checked to see what the IP address of the troubled PC is? And those of the other PC's? And can you ping between that PC and a working PC? Without establishing this, anything further is guesswork.
    Have now got a bigger problem as the offending machine will no longer let me in with the network admin password and is only accepting the machine one.
    If you can't ping the server from the PC then this is to be expected.
    Have swopped cables with the pc's to no avail and also as I mentioned changed network cards.
    Unless you know the problem to be a physical one, changing cables and cards is not the best solution. You need to approach the problem in a logical manner.
    1) Can you ping the server from the PC?
    (The answer is probably "No")

2) What is the IP of the server? And the IP of the PC? What are the IP's of the other PC's? I know you said that they are assigned dynamically, however this is a debugging situation and you need to establish beyond doubt that the IP addresses are not the problem - you can't assume anything.
    (In my experience the problem lies here most of the time. However, if not, on to step 3 ....)

3) Take a working PC (that is, one that can ping the server) and connect it to the network at the socket that is in use by the troublesome PC (using the cable that the troublesome PC was using). Can this PC still ping the server?

4) If the good PC can't ping the server, swap the cable for the one that the good PC had been using. Can the PC now ping the server?

Do these steps and post back your results.

Regards,

Liam

• Advertisement

1. Wasn't able to ping the machine from the server or the server from the machine.

2. on the machine the ip was assigned dynamically (checked it out)

3. By the time I should have gotten to this stage I had already altered things slightly (and to save my blushes will not delve into here) so at the moment the computer is being reformatted (Don't ask) before being taken to the boss and being told that it is not a good boy, will hopefully get a new one for christmass out of my scrooge like boss, as this one was 5 years old and was really working to hard for it's own good :(

Thanks for the assists I am most grateful and will likely be back again for more help though hopefully not before the new year

Happy Holidays

Advertisement