Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Lancer EVO VIII MR FQ-400

Options
  • 13-12-2004 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the full review on Topgear last night? I only caught the last 5 minutes of it, where Clarkson raced against a Fiat Stilo in top gear at 30 MPH. Imagine a Stilo being able outrun your 400HP Mitsi Evo VIII :rolleyes: It was an interesting comparison, even though you'd never drive it like that. It just goes to show that the car's performance is paltry without the turbo. It's still only a little 2.0L :D I agree with Clarkson when he says that they've gone a bit too far with 200HP per litre. Sounds good in theory, but not as good in practice. I wish I hadn't missed the whole program!
    As for looks, I like it a lot. Everything on it, is there for a reason (spoilers etc.) though I'm not sure about the fins on the roof :) I like the grey colour and the back racing alloys with the fat Bremo brakes stuffed behind them. I hope they give a free racing track with every purchase! Any thoughts?

Some pics:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2122

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

there is a repeat tonight at 11:50 on bbc 2. sounds like an interesting watch.
    at 200 bhp/L would relyability not be hampered ie your engine explodeing due to there being so much fuel and air in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Heh, I'm sure Mitsi have thought of that - it must be some serious intercooler. It would interesting to see what boost she runs at. Also, she has a service interval of only 4500 miles and sips only the very finest of high octane fuel. Well, not so much sips as guzzles! Oh, and you might want to invest in a tyre company :) I'll give it watch later on so, cheers.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I saw this on top gear last night...

It looked great. Handled like a dream... he was power-sliding with one finger on the steering wheel :eek:

It had a lot of nice good points, but the downsides were just too great...

-> Turbo took ages to kick in
    -> Could only use the Shell high octane petrol
    -> 4 miles to the gallon :eek:

You'd want to be very rich to run that car...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fella in my locality has an EVO VII... "A Beast" as be calls it. Funniy though, I only ever see him driving it from home to work, and vice versa... Oh and a pit-stop to the petrol station on the way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

-> Turbo took ages to kick in

This was in sixth gear doing 30mph.. Its was totally pointless and he done it just to be "funny".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the evoIII FQ is a limited edition afair, hence the 400hp.

I love the evo [every car should have active yaw control imo!] but like on top gear I'd prolly go for either the stock 200hp evo8 or the 320hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

This was in sixth gear doing 30mph.. Its was totally pointless and he done it just to be "funny".

I thought it was an extremely good demo of turbo lag - considering the Fiat was also in top gear.... Obviously no one will drive the car like that, but along with his criticism of the clutch, it sort of showed that it mightn't be the perfect choice for all people considering the lower powered version is just about as accomplished.. was fun against the lambo though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

You'd want to be very rich to run that car...

someone called me?

lovely car but 4 miles to the gallon, their 'aving a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

kaimera wrote:
    the evoIII FQ is a limited edition afair, hence the 400hp.

I love the evo [every car should have active yaw control imo!] but like on top gear I'd prolly go for either the stock 200hp evo8 or the 320hp.

Didn't get to watch the programe last night :( but as far as I know the lowest bhp evo 8 you can get is 260bhp officially, unofficially they're more like 280 bhp check out www.lancerregister.com

I'm with you on loving the evo's, espiceally the 7 in french blue ,not evryones cuppa but to me :D ,was going to get one arround june/july time but put the mature cap and bought a house instead, Ah well will be nice to own the drive it'll be parked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The race with the Stilo in top gear was fun but pretty meaningless. The only people who plonk their cars in top gear at 30 mph are taxi drivers and ould lads and neither of these are the target market for the Evo.

I remember a similar test where a 1.0L Polo beat a 1985 Audi Sport Quattro from 30-50 in top. Also I'd bet that an eighties 1.5 litre turbo F1 car with 1400 bhp wouldn't do too well at this test either....

Also, to those saying that the Evo is too thirsty and expensive to run and generally difficult to live with - the Evo has supercar performance and while it may be a pain in the arse to run compared to a normal lancer, compared to a supercar it is a total pussycat. And it's a helluva lot cheaper to buy too.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    Also, to those saying that the Evo is too thirsty and expensive to run and generally difficult to live with - the Evo has supercar performance and while it may be a pain in the arse to run compared to a normal lancer, compared to a supercar it is a total pussycat. And it's a helluva lot cheaper to buy too.
    BrianD3

..and you can still fit the kids in the back and the golf clubs in the boot :D

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The more performance you get out of a car the more compromises you'd have to make. There's no way anybody should use that car as an everyday driver. For what it is, it's an amazing car but I don't know if it fits the definition of road-going rally car anymore. It's too much for everyday road use.

There's no way anybody should use that car as an everyday driver.
    So you think it's a high performance, impractical car?
    It's too much for everyday road use.
    So you think it's a practical family car?

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean :)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

djeclips wrote:
    I'm with you on loving the evo's, espiceally the 7 in french blue ,not evryones cuppa but to me :D ,was going to get one arround june/july time but put the mature cap and bought a house instead, Ah well will be nice to own the drive it'll be parked in.

I have to agree there on the Evo VII in blue, beautiful car. Lad i know has the VII in white and it is also séxy. Very fast machine he has gotten 160+ mph out of it. Ridiculous speed i know but theres no talking to some people

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its still only a Lancer.... :D:D
    But really, it was very impressive, very.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dcGT wrote:

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean :)

DC.

Anybody else see no contradiction in those statements? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

What they should do is stick more, but smaller turbos which reduces turbo-lag. I think they did that on the EB110 and it worked for them.

Anybody else see no contradiction in those statements? :confused:

Apologies, it was my strange way of reading it the first time! :)

DC.

Squirrel wrote:
    What they should do is stick more, but smaller turbos which reduces turbo-lag. I think they did that on the EB110 and it worked for them.

There's always a trade-off between big and small turbos. Small turbos can spool up very quickly and produce boost early on (like the CT-9 turbo in the 1.3L Starlet) but also run out of steam very quickly. Whereas large ones suffer from rotational inertia and take time to spool up but can produce a huge amount of power/boost (like the 400HP Lancer). A twin turbo might produce the best performance, though perhaps not in a 2.0L engine.

DC.

Advertisement