Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording question?

Options
  • 24-08-2001 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I've decided to record some of my guitar playing. Why, because I'm bored and I want to see how I sound after putting down rhythm, lead and bass guitar by myself. I may even throw some vocals and keyboards in (low down in the mix tongue.gif)

My question is would I be better off plugging straight into the recorded and adding all effects in line, or micing up to my amp?

I've been told micing works better but in my opinion it only works better when playing in a big venue. I've done it before and I ended up just plugging straight into the PA and being perfectly happy with results obtained.

I don't really want to try both (because I'm lazy)if I don't have too. I'm only doing it to try and pick up errors etc in my guitar playing that are not as clear when your playing at 11 with over drive and effect running through.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I dont know anything about recording, but what I do know is I bought a cry-baby wha and I am having loads of fun messing about with it. I can now play EnterSandman solo like it was supposed to be played, great fun. How long you playing guitar FANJ ? Ive been playing about 3-4 years although when I tell people that, they never believe me, they think I have been playing alot longer. I take that as a compliment smile.gif

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Almost two years, and people allways ask me is it my first time playing when they hear me tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Plug your guitar straight in to whatever you are recording with if all you want it is for clean precise recordings.
    If you want flavoured sounds for a more real feel as long as you have a semi decent microphone go for the mic technique.

A good thing to do is go clean and aux the effects so that you don't record the guitar with the effects. You can then put on delay, reverb etc afterwards.

What are you recording onto?

[edit]P.S. They're just jealous rolleyes.gif[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Gordon (edited 24-08-2001).]

Advertisement