Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky TV and life before the premiership

• 13-12-2004 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who hates the fact that according to Sky TV football did not exist prior to their arrival on the broadcasting scene?

I was watching the Arsenal v Chelsea pre-game show yesterday afternoon and it was mentioned on several occasions throughout the day that Chelsea have not won at Highbury in 14 years.
    While discussing this topic they showed a montage of the previous games at Highbury, however they did not bother to show the last time Chelsea won there but started in 1992.
    They even mentioned it during the commentary, something like ‘The last time Chelsea won here was 14 years ago, and that wasn't even in the premiership.....', shock horror.

Also if you watch their 'FA Cup Classics' show, where they show highlights of old FA cup games from certain rounds in the few days prior to the games in that round.
    Any game pre Sky TV is never show.

They are a bit like the Kemer Rouge in Cambodia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They would not have the broadcast rights and I doubt they would pay the BBC or ITV to use clips because they would have to state 'Courtesy of the BBC/ITV' when they are showing the clip.

I actually enjoyed the 1st few seasons in the EPL on Sky but the novelty value soon wore off and I was harking back to the old Match of The Day and the odd live game on TV.

Sky were the forerunners in the whole presentation package though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sky are a bit like that alright... full of their own importance type of thing..

I had to laugh yesterday with the whole 'judgement day'/'terminator' thing... it was so bad... tacky as hell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They only have rights to show the PL stuff you see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

They only have rights to show the PL stuff you see..

true, but they won't even show (and pay for) archive stuff with a 'Pictures from Bla Bla Bla' icon at the top corner and thus admit that there was life before Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Simply an issue of broadcasting rights. A bit like how they almost denied the existence of the Champions League until they won the rights last season! How the English teams were doing in the CL used never be mentioned in pre-match analysis of a Premiership match etc. Even if a team had a big victory/defeat a couple of days earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement