Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EQ2 vs WoW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

long read, Ill just post the conclusion.

And the Winner Is: World of Warcraft!

Wow (no pun intended)!. There were a couple of real surprises in that fight. While World of Warcraft won with a respectable 6 points to EverQuest II's 5, there's more there than just a score. There were three points where both games were equal (Character customization, ease of travel, and combat), and more than a few where EQII clearly outmatched it's rival, most notably in the area of avatar's physical customization, role playing, and crafting. This is, perhaps, by design, as World of Warcraft was created to be a friendly, no hassle experience designed to appeal to everyone while those with a bit more experience with MMOs who want to try role playing or get into a deeper crafting system might want to dive into EverQuest 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Took me a while to read it as I've had to sneak in bits between work. It was remarkably fair I thought, as I figured it would be too easy to have a person who liked one game or the other and that would color their writing. I think if anyone is trying to decide which to go for, it would be an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

I read all of it and have to say I agree (played the betas only). Each have their pros and cons. Funnily enough I used to play quite a few pen and paper RPGs when I was younger and so thought I'd prefer EQ2, but no. WoW is definitely easier to get into, EQ2 seemed to be a bit vague in places (lazy me) with regards to certain game mechanics. As a very casual gamer I found that I could just pick WoW up for 30 min or so and achieve something, EQ2 didn't give me that feeling (not to mention waiting for zoning).

EQ2 has a lot more depth but I'm still waiting for the WoW EU release. If WoW had more customisable character models it'd be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

In the end I suppose it's all about how you weight different factors. For some people graphics are really important, for some people support for guilds etc is very important and so on. I also definately found WoW easier to get into, and probably EQ2 deeper. Not sure which I'd prefer though, and I definately don't want to pay for both heh.

I'm currently playing EQ2, but I think I will switch to WoW when it starts up too. I got onto one of the new EQ2 servers, and it's nice to be one of the top players for your class. I'm sure it wouldn't be as much fun to join in now. WoW should be good when everyone's starting at the same level. It's funny that you mention the character models, as that is one of the facets that I'd have the least interest in. Oh look, it's an orc with pink hair, oh look it's an orc with blue hair, who cares, lets just kill em! (supposing of course that I was playing Alliance :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think customisation is really important in mmorpg games...you spend so long with your character that you want them to look different... The items in wow are visually varied though.

josh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

for me personally there are a few reasons I'm not going to touch eq2 with a 5,000,000 foot pole.

1) No PvP. I'm not interested in an endless grind, its lame, boring and stupid. I might as well play a single player RPG and even that would be more fun.

2) SOE - I hate them with a vengenace, after what they did to SWG, I'm staying far far FAR away from them and their games from now on.

3) I really enjoy playing WoW, which is something I haven't really been able to say about any MMO recently. I'm almost lvl 45 now and the game is still fun, levelign is still fun, hunting is fun, PvP is fun, crafting is fun...

4) charecter customisation is of minimal importance for me and WoW offers it in more than enough detail to keep me happy

Advertisement