Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom speed?

• 13-12-2004 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I've recently installed Eircom home plus. But the speed I am experiencing is
    a bit dissapointing. Loading a page (say gmail) takes normally 20+ seconds.
    Getting connected to an ftp server takes roughly the same amount of time.
    Is this normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There's most likely a problem with your DNS settings. If you open a DOS box and do "ping www.google.com" and there's 10-20 second delay followed by pings around 100ms then that's usually a sign of the domain name lookup being the problem. You can set the DNS settings in Windows, that usually fixes it. The settings are available on Eircom's broadband site somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fow99

Blaster99 wrote:
    There's most likely a problem with your DNS settings.

I am not at home so I can't do the experiment. However, I don't think it is a DNS
    issue as the epg finishes the DNS lookup (from the flashing status line) fairly
    quickly.

One thing is that I have an alarm system in the house. Would that make a *big*
    difference?

The alarm makes practically no difference if any at all.

What you really need to do is to try to download something big from somewhere with predictable download speeds. Like Heanet.ie. If you go to their software mirror and download much any ISO you'll get a good benchmark on speed. The symptom of a DNS problem is that the initial contact takes forever but then everything is downloaded quickly.

Blaster99 wrote:
    What you really need to do is to try to download something big from somewhere with predictable download speeds. Like Heanet.ie.

I think last time I try downloading something from heanet.ie I got something
    below 10k. Changing directory is *very* sluggish. Can you tell me what you
    speed is roughly?

With Eircom 512/128 ADSL I get around 54KB/s all the time. Sounds like something is seriously wrong. Have you tried to simplify your setup, e.g. remove any routers etc and plug straight into the ADSL modem? If you have, call Eircom support.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Have you tried to simplify your setup, e.g. remove any routers etc and plug straight into the ADSL modem? .

Will try that. Thanks,

Advertisement