Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Editing from DVD-RAM, complete novice!

• 13-12-2004 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought myself an Hitachi DZ-MV550E and as a complete novice with this sort of thing I was wondering if some of you could shed some light on a few things.

The camcorder writes directly to DVD-RAM and I can view my footage by either connecting the Cam via USB to the computer or inserting the disk directly into the disk drive, the problem is that when I try to transfer my footage to the HD for editing my computer doesn't recognise the file format ( .v** can't remember the actual name for it at the moment ). However it is possible to save the footage as a windows media file, but the quality seems to suffer slightly.

Does anybody have some helpful hints or tips for a beginner or editing software recommendations?( preferably one that will recognise the .v** file ) And what sort of file is used when you burn your edited (hopefully) footage onto a blank disk?.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if its a .vob file then its a dvd file
    get a program like tmpgenc dvd author and you should be able to open the vobs there.
    that will allow you limited editing facilites.

you may need to encode to a different format to get more editing options on your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

chalk is right - you'd need to move it to a different format.

I'd say the easiest is to go for a fire wire transfer and if you're only just starting get the Microsoft Move Maker 2 to captrue it - it's free and it's really simple - and trust me simple is good when starting of with editing... ;)

Make sure you get the right firewire - there are 6 and 4 pins - most PC's and cameras support 4 pin.

after all that however, I am not sure of a DVD cam corder has a Firewire in which case you need to go back to plan a and convert the vob file.

Phillip

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

TheDuke is the firewire a data transfer cable? If so the Camcaorder I have is fairly simple to transfer. It can be done in 2 ways, either conecting the Cam to the PC via USB 2, the Cam then shows up as a removable drive in the computer control panel and you just simply drag and drop your data, or you just pop the DVD-RAM disk into your DVD drawer.

A mate of mine has offered me a copy of Adobe's Encore DVD, which he says will do the trick.

Does anybody know if this is any good? :confused:

Thanks for the help lads

Advertisement