Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Topping up' a mortgage?

Options
  • 13-12-2004 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭

Just how easy is it to top up a mortgage? I need a few bob for a new car and was thinking of doing this rather than taking out a car loan - it's cheaper in the short run (not the long run). Have the mortgage about a year and there should be no problem with value of house etc.

Has anyone done this before? Is it just a case of ringing up and asking for money or are there solicitors etc involved? I'm also thinking of switching my mortgage - would it be easier to top it up as part of this process?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Just how easy is it to top up a mortgage? I need a few bob for a new car and was thinking of doing this rather than taking out a car loan - it's cheaper in the short run (not the long run). Have the mortgage about a year and there should be no problem with value of house etc.

Has anyone done this before? Is it just a case of ringing up and asking for money or are there solicitors etc involved? I'm also thinking of switching my mortgage - would it be easier to top it up as part of this process?

Thanks for any help!

What lender are you currently with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What lender are you currently with?

First Active.

First Active.

The reason I ask is because some lenders won't allow you to top up for any reason except home improvements. First Active will let you top up for this purpose. They have a product called Utopia with which you can top up without having to use a solicitor. It's very quick and hasslefree. Is there any particular reason you're considering moving your mortgage and to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The reason I ask is because some lenders won't allow you to top up for any reason except home improvements. First Active will let you top up for this purpose. They have a product called Utopia with which you can top up without having to use a solicitor. It's very quick and hasslefree. Is there any particular reason you're considering moving your mortgage and to where?

Considering moving it because I've just moved onto standard variable rate (about 3.55%) after 1 yr fixed. Can get cheaper elsewhere, so why pay more? Thinking of Ulster Bank; friend got 2.95% tracker from them. Would most likely get offer from UB and threaten to move from First Active if they didn't match it.

When you say FA will let me top up for this purpose, do you mean the car?

When you say FA will let me top up for this purpose, do you mean the car?

Yeah, First Active allow that but AFAIK, UB will only allow a top up if it's for home improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The important thing is to pay off the extra capital you draw down within three years or so. Otherwise you end up paying for a short-lived asset over 20 years, which is perfectly feasible, but clearly unsustainable (what will you do when you need another car?). This is the reason some banks might not let you do it. Be sensible and you'll be OK.

Advertisement