Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RyanAir

• 13-12-2004 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I've to fly from Birmingham to Dublin on Wednesday. I'm coming back from college so will be bringing cloths and books. Figure I'll go over the weight restriction. Does anyone know how strict RyanAir are with the restrictions?

Can't really afford paying extra :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

damnyanks wrote:
    Howdy,

I've to fly from Birmingham to Dublin on Wednesday. I'm coming back from college so will be bringing cloths and books. Figure I'll go over the weight restriction. Does anyone know how strict RyanAir are with the restrictions?

Can't really afford paying extra :(

The best advise I can give is keep your checked in bag to below the 15kg limit and try maximise the size of your carry on, it worked for me a few months ago.
    Myself and my girlfriend were in Paris and bought 10 bottels of wine which the store owner boxed in 2 boxes of 5 for us. Instaed of putting these in our checked in bags we put them in or carry ons (there were heavy) and while checking in kept them out of sight (ish) of the checkin person. Worked fine, the checked in were below 15kg and we just about wedged the 2 carry ons into the overhaed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yup I've hidden my 2nd peice of handluggage from check-in and then carried it by disinterested Bouvaix security and flight staff. Helps if you have a 2nd person with ya as my 1st bag was nearly exploding, I had a camping mat seperately and that hidden 3rd bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They never weigh your hand baggage unless it's a huge huge bag. So pack as much as you can into a large holdall, and be there early so you get on the plane first and can stow your bag before everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

try shipping the books? can get a reduced rate on printed material i think....
    worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

por wrote:
    The best advise I can give is keep your checked in bag to below the 15kg limit and try maximise the size of your carry on, it worked for me a few months ago.
    Myself and my girlfriend were in Paris and bought 10 bottels of wine which the store owner boxed in 2 boxes of 5 for us. Instaed of putting these in our checked in bags we put them in or carry ons (there were heavy) and while checking in kept them out of sight (ish) of the checkin person. Worked fine, the checked in were below 15kg and we just about wedged the 2 carry ons into the overhaed.

Are you allowed glass bottles in the cabin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you allowed glass bottles in the cabin?

Of course. Duty free shops are AFTER you check in your bags!
    It's quite strange, isn't it. You could easily hijack a flight with a broken bottle, just as easily as with box cutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Girl that sits beside me here in work was telling me that her friend was charged for being 1kg over her luggage weight - the check-in clerk might have been having a bad day =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Ryanair staff have zero discretion on whether or not to charge for excess baggage, you're over one kg you're charged one kg.

This is enforced in two ways, by disciplining those who don't charge and by rewarding those who do with a monthly commission.

You're allowed 15kgs checked, 10kgs carry-on and whatever you can wear! ;) (in my very broke days I literally wore a weeks worth of clothes until I got on the plane then stripped and stuffed it into my carry on, all those extra pockets were dead handy for carrying stuff too :rolleyes: the things I had to do..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've gotten away with 30 kg on Ryanair before even when people were checking in for the same flight beside me got charged for the same. It does largely depend on the staff checking you in. I know someone who used to work for them and she said they had to reach 5,000 euro per month in excess baggage charges - after that it didn't matter. They also seem to be more strict in smaller airports, but that's only in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems like they are strictly enforcing it now. Was stopped a few months back and told to take stuff out my hand luggage. I put it back in when I got through. They also gave it an "evil" eye when I was getting on the plane and were suggesting that it go in the hold. Incidently the Siobhan Creaton book on Ryanair is superb, very good read(sorry off topic :p )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Yeah just started reading the book. Very enlightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

When I flew home in August they were weighing everyone's hand luggage in Stanstaed. Going back they weren't. The didn't weigh my hand luggage on the other 3 flights (incl stanstaed going back). It seems like it's a pretty random thing so you might be lucky. Alternatively wear whatever you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ended up getting on with main bag being 2kg over limit. Put an extra carry on bag with 3 books with over 1000 pages (Comp books) under my coat at check in and another carry on weighting about 12kg on the outside.

Probably looked a bit dodgy on airport security cam when I took my coat off and put a bag under my coat :D

Advertisement