Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing my broadband connection

• 13-12-2004 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could help me. After waiting ages for ESAT to give my house a broadband connection, it's supposed to arrive on friday. Anyway, my roomies and I want to use it at the same time, 3 of us, 3 computers. Can you tell me how to share the broadband connection between 3 comps when we get it?
    ICS does not support messengers etc. according to a website I just read and I'd rather not have to have a computer on all the time etc.
    we got this router, my mate took it from his job, maybe we can use that?
    the phone line goes into a broadband modem I presume, then I'm presuming an ethernet cable goes from the modem to the NEC on the computer
    can you just put that cable from the modem into a router, and that will distribute internet to whatever computers are plugged into the router?
    or does the router have to go into a hub, and then the computers into the hub?
    Will this work? Any suggestions?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Depends on what type of broadband modem you get. Esat do both types, usb and ethernet, but I think you have to specify that you want an ethernet. If you do get an ethernet one, then you should be able to use it with your router. If you're finding it tough try this one instead: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=116319&cks=PRL . Its cheap and easy to use and you'll be able to connect your modem to it, then just connect your PCs to it, configure it and you're on your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Esat do give you a modem with ethernet and usb, you can use both at the same time or one at a time.

And it sounds like you could just plug the cable straight from the modem into the router (thats the way i have mine at the moment), it depends on the router and how its configured.

what type of router are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Just throw a switch onto it.

Connect the bb router to the switch and ur pc's to the switch.
    It should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I'm having problems getting up and running . Esat think it's a name/password problem and will ring me tomorrow .. I'm holding my breath ;)

It fails a test on diagnostic ;
    Test PPP/PPPoE Server connection = fail

Esat do give you a modem with ethernet and usb, you can use both at the same time or one at a time
    END QUOTE

Question;
    Is it silly to have the USB and NET cables both connected at the same time when only one PC is in place. It is likely to cause a problem or just superfluous ?

Struggling for knowledge ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Anchises - Have you got the @iolbb after your username, that's caught me out a few times! There's no real reason to have the USB and Ethernet connected to the same PC.

fischerspooner - Does the router actually have more then one LAN port on it? tbh. you'd be better off just getting a cheap switch, you can get one on komplett.ie for about €14. Having another router after the Esat one is kind of pointless and just makes things more complicated.

• Advertisement

>Have you got the @iolbb after your username
    Yeah - been there - done that :)

It occurs to me, somewhere it says you should have the "service name" correct -can't remember where ....
    I left it blank - as presented on install.
    Also tried IOLBB.
    Wonder if that might be important ?

>There's no real reason to have the USB and Ethernet connected to the same PC.
    Thanks. I'll disconnect the USB , since NETWORK seems to be the preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

you will need a router to connect 3 computers try www.expansys.ie
    next you will have to make up your mind if you want a wireless one or one where you have to cable every computer to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I get a similar PPPoE problem with my router, it takes ages to connect and comes up fail, eventually it connects though, no idea why, leave the service name blank.

I'm assuming you've got all this sorted:

Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Problem solved. Esat rang me back to give me a user name and password.
    that was the only problem ;)
    I'm up and running
    Why did'nt I go for broadband before................
    The improvement is amazing. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi folks, I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could help ...........
    we got this router, my mate took it from his job, maybe we can use that?

Tut tut! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement