Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking(see sig)

Options
  • 13-12-2004 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I seem to have hit a wall trying to overclock my CPU.

It wont go over 250mhz stably, no matter how much I relax the timings on my ram(guaranteed to do 266mhz @ 3-4-4-8 2.9v)

Tried setting HTT to 3(currently 4*250)

Tried setting CPU multi to 4(normal is 9)

Upped CPU voltage to 1.8(does 250*9 at 1.45)

Updated to latest bios.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

maybe that is the limit for your cpu on the cooling your using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

gline wrote:
    That makes no sense....

It runs at 9*250 fine under load, but running at 4*251 idle is impossible because of cooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

My P4 wont go to 3.4+GHz. I can get 3.37 (I need to up the Vcore to 1.65 to get that) then one more increment of the FSB puts it over 3.4 but it fails stability tests. Every chip is different and yours may just not be able to go any higher

Dempsey wrote:
    My P4 wont go to 3.4+GHz. I can get 3.37 (I need to up the Vcore to 1.65 to get that) then one more increment of the FSB puts it over 3.4 but it fails stability tests. Every chip is different and yours may just not be able to go any higher
    Yes, however, the limit being 250mhz, regardless of multiplier, implies it's an artificial limit of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whats the highest frequency that the motherboard's clock can generate?

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote:
    Whats the highest frequency that the motherboard's clock can generate?
    People can get 290mhz on this motherboard, quite frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Have you tried running your ram at a lower speed? You should be able to overclock more than that imo.

neokenzo wrote:
    Have you tried running your ram at a lower speed? You should be able to overclock more than that imo.
    no matter how much I relax the timings on my ram(guaranteed to do 266mhz @ 3-4-4-8 2.9v)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Not relaxing the timings on it but rather the speed, ie, instead of running 400Mhz, try 333Mhz. Just to eliminate that your ram is holding you back.

neokenzo wrote:
    Not relaxing the timings on it but rather the speed, ie, instead of running 400Mhz, try 333Mhz. Just to eliminate that your ram is holding you back.
    Tried, but the K8N doesnt have a proper divider, you can set the memory speed to 400/333/auto manually, but it doesnt seem to keep to them :/

But it's Samsung TCCD memory, it wont be holding me back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gline wrote:
    sorry didnt read it proper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It could be a number of things, what exactly happen when you try to go higher? Blue screen? Power down?

Maybe try 1 stick of ram at a time, you may have got one dodgey.

BloodBath

stable.png

Was running stable at this through prime95 and some other testing methods - until my harddrive failed :)

Coincidence?

Advertisement