Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of a Listed Building

Options
  • 13-12-2004 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

OK; I'm doing this research for my relative's, who don't have the net themselves.

For the last number of years (at least 14), they've (my relative's) been living in this house down the country. Before then, my uncle's mother had lived there. Its your typical thatched cottage, and is fairly old. About 2 years ago, someone came doing a survey about the local houses (how old, etc), and a few months later they got a message saying that their house is now a listed building.

Now here's where the trouble begin's.

Due to the fact that the thatch is leaking (it was re-thatched 13 years ago, was meant to last 20, and the guy who did it has since died), the two kids bedrooms are getting wet. Also, there are a few cracks in the walls. This itself would cost a bit to get done, and since they've since built a new house, they don't see if they should.

And more trouble.

Since its a listed building, they have to maintain it, but since they're moving out, they don't see why, as they're not going to use it, and they can't rent it out, as it wouldn't be financlly sound, as it'd cost a good bit to fix up (esp to re-thatch the roof) and they wouldn't get much tourists (its not near any towns, etc), and its next to my uncle's work-yard (which would be noisy).

So, does anyone know; is there someway to get out of it, without having to pay lots of money. Its a very small thatched cottage, middle of the country, leaking roof, cracked wall, and they're moving to a new house in 2 months.

Once they move out, do they have to keep "mantaining" it, or what?

ANy help, or links to pages that have infomation about this, would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

the_syco wrote:
    OK; I'm doing this research for my relative's, who don't have the net themselves.

they got a message saying that their house is now a listed building.

Now here's where the trouble begin's.

No info off hand but there are defininitely grants availablke to help defray the cost of thatching houses - and if yours is listed as well should be easy got

Have you tried An Taisce for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Borzoi wrote:
    No info off hand but there are defininitely grants availablke to help defray the cost of thatching houses - and if yours is listed as well should be easy got

Have you tried An Taisce for help?
    IIRC the relative's said that they can get 3000 for the thatch for Taisce, but they can't get the grant for foreign reeds, which are meant to be stronger and last longer.

(and thanks for the reply)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Hi syco,

Borzoi is right, there are grants available for thatched roof houses. These grants were available of up to 75% of incurred costs with no limit to maintain and improve original structure. (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI300Y1990.html)

But unfortunately it seems there is a limit now:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI610Y2001.html

This document gives a good bit of information about the obligations regarding protected structures:
    http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/09a433ebc36bb3ce80256b76005dadce/$FILE/guidance.doc

You will see that your relatives do indded have the obligation to maintain the building (two years ago, they maybe could have objected to the listing, but now it is most probably too late) and there are penalities if they don't maintain it.

I would check first with the local county council and maybe the Heritage Council. (http://www.heritagecouncil.ie). The Dept. of Environment might be another source of information.

I would ask them about my obligations and about available grants etc.

Unless they sell the cottage, your relatives will - it seems - be responsible for it going forward!

Hope this helps,

--Hornet

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To the person whose post I deleted: That would be illegal.

Advertisement