Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham -v- Manchester United (Scores)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

smemon wrote:
    rooney must be dropped, he's not performing and shouldnt be put in because of his price tag.

Just like that time you called for Ruud to be dropped because "he wasn't pulling his weight" and then he went out and scored a hattrick??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just like that time you called for Ruud to be dropped because "he wasn't pulling his weight" and then he went out and scored a hattrick??? :rolleyes:

extacly, going on performances ruud should have been dropped for a few games as saha, smith & rooney all looked better than him. you think im wrong by saying i wanted ruud dropped?? he hadnt scored in open play up until then (which was bout 15games or more into the season). now he looks sharper and like his old self but we might have had a better chance in games that smith or saha been playing instead.

it's the same with rooney now. we have 4 strikers, USE THEM. we didnt buy saha and smith as backup for ruud and rooney. your basically saying to me, when someone underperforms, leave them in the side and they'll come good. that defeats the whole purpose of having a big squad. granted they usually will come good again but for that few matches it can turn around a season and prove very costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I agree with sememon to a point. Now I'm not a United fan but I still wonder, as do Utd fan friends of mine, why Rooney was bought. Quite simply he was bought because Utd didn't want him going to Chelsea. Utd don't need him, they really don't (pains me to type this folks), they have enough quality up front and played in a certain way. I think Rooney upsets the balance of the team and lets face it, hes done knack all since his brilliant debut. Alan Smith is a great buy and should start every game along side Van Nisterlroy(when hes fit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

BolBill wrote:
    I agree with sememon to a point. Now I'm not a United fan but I still wonder, as do Utd fan friends of mine, why Rooney was bought. Quite simply he was bought because Utd didn't want him going to Chelsea. Utd don't need him, they really don't (pains me to type this folks), they have enough quality up front and played in a certain way. I think Rooney upsets the balance of the team and lets face it, hes done knack all since his brilliant debut. Alan Smith is a great buy and should start every game along side Van Nisterlroy(when hes fit).

I don't entirely disagree but I don't think the reason United bought Rooney was because they didn't want him going to Arsenal or Chelsea. Right now Rooney may not be the answer to Uniteds problems but he is still only 19. In 5 years time Van Niostlerooy will be 33/34 and Rooney will still only be 24. So it's an investment in the future but it's also adding extra options to United at the moment. I mean if they didn't buy him who would have played up front on Monday Night.

as for the Roy Keane debate I totaly agree that United are missing a Roy Keane type of player. And by that I mean roy keane from 2-3 years ago. I don't think it's any coincidence that Utds Trend has coincided with Keanes career. When Keane was at the top of his game Utd were a driving force in the premiership and Europe. Now that he is only half the player he was Utd are loosing control of their power in the Premiership. Utd need a Gerard type player but personally I wouldn't like to see Gerard in a Utd shirt. Great player and all but United and Liverpool doing business makes my blood turn cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

smemon wrote:
    you think im wrong by saying i wanted ruud dropped?? he hadnt scored in open play up until then (which was bout 15games or more into the season).

I'll only deal with the premiership here, but here are some facts to get your teeth into.....

Ruud came back from injury and played in the premiership on 11th Sept.
    2 Games later on the 25th he scored.
    3 Games later he scored again.
    He didn't play the next 2 games but scored on his return.
    2 Games later he scored again and hasn't played since due to injury.
    smemon wrote:
    we have 4 strikers, USE THEM.

Saha and Ruud are injured.
    smemon wrote:
    rooney must be dropped, he's not performing and shouldnt be put in because of his price tag.

Since the 3rd of October he has played the full 90 minutes for 8 matches scoring 4 goals and as far as I can remember he got the man of the match for 2 of those matches.
    smemon wrote:
    your basically saying to me, when someone underperforms, leave them in the side and they'll come good. that defeats the whole purpose of having a big squad.

I'm not saying that at all, I just don't agree with you that they are underperforming. And quite frankly as far as football is concerned you just don't seem to have a clue!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You see the thing about Ruud is, while if Rooney is under preforming he should be dropped, Ruud could be having the worst game in his entire life, and everytime he gets the ball outside the box he loses it, but with 5 mins left and it's 0-0 he will pop in a goal to get a win.

Example is Lyon, where he was playing ****. Yet got two goals back for united.
    Once Saha is back, I can see Fergie consistantly playing them as a pair, as they compliment each other really well imo.
    Saha is a big strong forward, while Ruud is a big strong striker.

Smith is good in a fight, and scrappy match, and thats great, but he doesn't have the skill to play as a striker the entire time with United, hopefully he will get it, but until then he shouldnt be on until the 70th minute, which is what fergie does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

AthAnRi wrote:
    I don't entirely disagree but I don't think the reason United bought Rooney was because they didn't want him going to Arsenal or Chelsea. Right now Rooney may not be the answer to Uniteds problems but he is still only 19. In 5 years time Van Niostlerooy will be 33/34 and Rooney will still only be 24. So it's an investment in the future but it's also adding extra options to United at the moment. I mean if they didn't buy him who would have played up front on Monday Night.

Utd need a Gerard type player but personally I wouldn't like to see Gerard in a Utd shirt. Great player and all but United and Liverpool doing business makes my blood turn cold.

In regards to Rooney, in five years time he'll be a drunk if he allowed hang around with Good time Rio and is constantly hyped up by the English media a-la Gazza.

In regards to Gerrard, you may have to live with cold blood mate because Gerrard would probably join ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

BaZmO* wrote:
    Saha and Ruud are injured.

Since the 3rd of October he has played the full 90 minutes for 8 matches scoring 4 goals and as far as I can remember he got the man of the match for 2 of those matches.B.

i know saha & ruud are out, but when all 4 are fit, it's rooney & van nistelrooy that are 1st choice imo in fergie's eyes. they are our 'biggest players', not necessarily our best at this time.

4 goals in 8 is a 1 in 2 ratio, i wouldnt expect less from a utd striker tbh. that's what he should be getting. he may have got motm a few times but it's blatently obvious he's underperforming. just look at the fulham match. he hit the post so i suppose because he hit the post he had a good game :rolleyes:

1 question, would you start smith or rooney alongside ruud for the crystal palace game? it'd be a sin not to start smith after that incredible goal against fulham. he had a fantastic match and had everyone shown the hunger he showed we'd be 7 points behind chelsea atm.

Advertisement