Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to charge??

Options
  • 13-12-2004 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,
    have been asked to put together a site very similar to this http://www.ezbuilders.co.uk/index.php. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me decide what I might charge for such a site. I have a decent amount of web experience but have not done a whole lot of contract work. Thanks for you suggestions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

oh, the price should include domain name and hosting costs. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How long do you think it would take you to deliver such a site? Do you have experience of this type of project, or is this going to be a learn as you go along type of thing? What sort of deadlines is the client looking for?

The domain and hosting are the easiest to calculate. Once you know what the client wants (unless you're providing these yourself) it's just a case of getting a few quotes.

Are you in competition with others for this job, or is it a nixer for a friend?

By "web expereience" do you mean you know how to use internet explorer, you can write html with your eyes closed, you're a frontpage monkey?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

It would take me 3 days to complete, so €300 + €100 for Hosting + Domain + emails etc... would be a fair price.

Total: €400

Let me know if you want it done, you can charge what you like.

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Three days? How much care would you put into it in three days?

Your daily rate is terrible. You should look into increasing it, if your skill level allows. You won't make much money if your rate is that low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

joePC wrote:
    Total: €400
    Don't you have homework you should be doing?

• Advertisement

Yes 8 hours a day for 3 days is more than enough time to produce a much better site than http://www.ezbuilders.co.uk I can guarantee that.

As for the stupid comment about homework, well lets leave that one to rest shall we....

Thanks for the responses, I am not a frontpage monkey, urrrrgggghhhhh. I am just trying to get a feel for what I might be looking at and if it would even be worth my while. Alot depends on whether the customer has there own graphics or logo. I would intend to do the site using php and templates as I think this works well. The site would be static and xhtml compiant. I'm thinking 500-600 might be agreeable (with me at least :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

joePC wrote:
    Yes 8 hours a day for 3 days is more than enough time to produce a much better site than http://www.ezbuilders.co.uk I can guarantee that.
    € 12.50 per hour - not bad, I know cleaners who make more than that.

Still, you're kind of packing a lot of work in those three days - scoping of the project, client meetings, documentation, support and debugging, billing and chasing up for your money... oh, and development.
    As for the stupid comment about homework, well lets leave that one to rest shall we....
    Well, if you're not still in school and are actually charging that rate professionally then I wish you luck with the mortgage.

Points taken, I do Web design / development as a freelancer to add to my current income. Please note that the quote I gave is not for e.g. Myself & client but myself doing the project for (tammy) who can charge an extra 1-200€ for doing pretty much nothing. If it was me doing the job direct for the client then it would cost more for obvious reasons.

Well I hope that clears somethings up.....

Thanks, JoePC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you mean you were pimping?

well he's got the hair for it, but I don't want to be his biatch today (or any day). :D Thanks for the useful responses, I have made a satisfactory arrangement.

Advertisement