Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Slow Wireless network file transfers

• 13-12-2004 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm transferring files between my PC and a TiVo and an XBox.
    My Setup is as follows:

PC - Sitecom PCI Wireless Card (802.11g) This is manually set to 11 Mbps
    Router - Puretek PT-3818 ADSL Modem / Wireless router (802.11b)
    XBox and Tivo - Linksys WET11 wireless bridge (802.11b)

My OS is Windows XP (SP2)

Anyhoo, When I try and drop files on my XBox, or pull files off my TiVo, the best speed I can get is 180K.

I have not got encryption on and my Signal Strength between the PC and router is being reported by XP as "Excellent".
    Downstairs, I have a cantenna connected to the WET11. Downstairs, btw, is through 1 wall and 1 floor about 10 yards away I'd say.
    I have also turned off the XP SP2 firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall - so there is no firewall running. I'm running Norton antivirus.

Any ideas as to why I'm getting such a solw transfer rate ?

Thanks !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Are you using a TiVo in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep. WHy do you ask ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Dont know if this is any use to you, but using wires when connecting to my xbox I used get brutal figures for connection, basically reading on xbox forums it was saying get a decent app for transfer, now I use total commander and I get 6+ Mbps on it.
    Might help
    -Toppy-

OK - I'll try that, although I have tried both SmartFTP and FlashFXP

Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

deadl0ck wrote:
    Yep. WHy do you ask ?
    I used to have TiVo in the states. I do not exaggerate when I say it is up there with the wheel in terms of inventions?

I didn’t think you could get TiVo in Ireland. Is it an English one? Do you dial into an English access number? Does is work well?

• Advertisement

It's an English TiVo. I have a 120 GB HD in it and a Turbonet Ethernet card.
    You get allof the Channels, except TV3 and TG4 in the program guide data. I've got chorus and Ariel in. I then told Tivo I was in the UK (Got a london postode off the web) and selected NTL as my provider. I then used the TivoWeb channelmap mod to remap the channels to the correct numbers and I disabled all the irrelevant channels. I'm using IP to make the daily call - this in as optionin the TYurbonet setup, so I don't have to dial Dublin (there's a Dublin number you can use instead of an English one). I do, of course, have to pay the £10 per month for the listings, however.
    It's fantastic - I agree. It'ss like SkyPlus without being tied to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

I've got a Tivo as well, bought it off eBay about a year ago. Hooked it up to Sky family package as well as terrestial channels. Upgraded the disk to 160GB. Used a Fermanagh address and picked the Fermanagh postcode to set it up for Sky.

It phones the Dublin number once a week for updates.

Best Gadget I've ever bought.

Do you get listings for TV3 and TG4 ?

No listings for TV3 or TG4 yet.

I'd guess not until they get on the Northern Sky EPG package.

But if you use the wireless setup, which I don't, I think you can pull the listings off Digiguide.

Cool - I wonder if there's a mod for TivoWeb that uses DigiGuide.....

• Advertisement

On the Tivocommunity forum, UK section, there is a very long thread on the topic of how to set uo Digiguide. If it works in Britain, it must be possible to feed in the Irish data from Digiguide too : )

Advertisement