Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J# - who uses it? Seriously?

Options
  • 13-12-2004 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I'm just asking. I've never met a programmer that claimed that he/she programmed in J# (.Net?)...

Was it a big flop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think I have a J++ .net cd from M$ somewhere... came with MS Visual Studio 6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Last I heard it was being phased out due to not being used. Can't remember what exactly I saw that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think they did it to annoy Sun tbh. I don't know anybody who uses J#. In days of yore I've used the Microsoft SDK for Java tools as they were better than J++.

I've also heard tell of a Perl.Net but haven't seen it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

From what i heard you can use it to port from java to the .net platform. There is a wizard kinda thing that converts code over and marks areas that couldnt be converted. syntax is suppose to be the same as suns java.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Apart from that I'd guess it's mainly a good marketing point. Sun just has java but M$ has Java and the rest of .Net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Perhaps it was all just to lull some hardcore java heads into using some MS technology, as in the framework.

Seems like MS have almost bottomless pockets..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Peace wrote:
    Seems like MS have almost bottomless pockets..

Seems like it??? They DO have bottomless funds, about 40 biliion CASH last i checked, and if the companies ever in trouble, I'm sure bill could lob a couple of billion of his own funds into the company, whatever he finds in his back pocket would be fine i'm sure

Never even heard of j++ tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Wasn't J++ just MS's version of Java? Didn't realise they had J# though, seems like an easy way to port alright though.

On a related note, Sun recently held a summit with the likes of Larry Wall, Guido van Rossum and other language designers (Groovy). Should be interesting to say the least.
    http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/DynamicJava

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Peteee wrote:
    Seems like it??? They DO have bottomless funds, about 40 biliion CASH last i checked, and if the companies ever in trouble, I'm sure bill could lob a couple of billion of his own funds into the company, whatever he finds in his back pocket would be fine i'm sure

Never even heard of j++ tbh
    more like $56 Bn in the kitty and they will ALSO be handing about €75Bn to shareholders in the next 4 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Is j# not the free language with M$ Development. I downloaded Borland C# and you needed j# before it would install. Only time I have ever needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

jessy wrote:
    Is j# not the free language with M$ Development. I downloaded Borland C# and you needed j# before it would install. Only time I have ever needed it.
    I think all the .Net languages are free, you can download a .Net SDK and that has compilers and other tools, you can then text editors to write your programs. There's also sharpdevelop which is an open source attempt at a visual studio replacement, I only tried an early version but it seemed pretty good, especially for students etc. J# is the .Net version of J++

Advertisement