Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my shotgun? general info needed

Options
  • 13-12-2004 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im plan on getting a shotgun over christmas.

What exactly do i need to do. Go to guarda station, abd get application. Licence costs E38 i gathered from the sticky thread.

Then what do i do. How much on average is a shotgun, and what make shud i be looking at. Budget of 600 -800. How much is ammo about.

Its pheasant shoting ill be doing mostly. Not interested in target.

also, what sort of case do i need for the shotgun, wha talternatives have I other than storing it i nthe house/shed. The local shooting club dont have a clubhouse.

Yes, im a beginner.
    Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Got to a gunshop first and pick a gun.

€30 for a shotgun licence.

You need to store it in your house, sheds/garages aren't accepted. Only other alternative would be in a gun-dealers premises, or at a friend's house, once they also had a licence for the same gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Aye, me uncle up the road from me wud let me store it in his safe.
    How long does all the paperwork take? A month?

How much are Remingtons, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Go to you local Gun Dealer and find a gun the suits you.. take your time.. if you know someone who has experience bring them advice is always good.

Place a deposit on your choice, the dealer will issue you with a form for your local sergeant who after making sure you not insane will forward it for clearance. At present they are delays, know one mate who was waiting nearly 3 months for his license.

Once the licence is returned you can collect you shotgun.

Remington 11-87 Semi Auto 3.5inch about €1050

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

rander00 wrote:
    Budget of 600 -800. How much is ammo about.
    Its pheasant shoting ill be doing mostly.

As you only have a budget of 600 - 800 euro. I would recamend that look at some second hand guns. most dealers have a good range. What are are you. in.
    Once you have choosen a gun that suits you. You will need a letter form the dealer with the gun make and s/n, and premision from 3 farmers or membership of a local gun club. Take all of this to your local garda station. It is better to ring before hand and make an apoiment. It can then take anything from 4 weeks to 4 months for the licence to come through. Once you have the licence you can collect your gun.

The price of cartridges depends on brand and if you buy in bulk.

PM me if you want more info on deallers in you'r area or any questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I got a Beretta 302 Semi auto 2nd hand a few years ago ~IRP 500. Great gun, has never given me any problems. Semi autos are an excellent gun for Pigeon & Duck shooting. To minimise the delay in getting your licence you'll either need to (1) be a member of/Join a gun club or (2) get written permission from 3 land owners to shoot their land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i have only ever included permission from one landowner. not caused any problems for me. i think it took 7 weeks for my first license to be issued.

both the beretta 390 and the remington 11-87 are great guns, and you should be able to find one second hand within your budget.
    best of luck.

Whats the Remington 11-87? Is that a similar model to the Remington 1100 that i seen on www.islandsports.ie. (which seems a good site btw)

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Make sure your gun cabinet is bolted to the wall good,or the gardai wont accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Make sure your gun cabinet is bolted to the wall good,or the gardai wont accept.

Do they actually come out and check??

A good gun i got for 450 second hand a lanber there a good low budget gun.

shotgun license E5 for ordinary license and E25 for a game license

They dont come out and check, do they?

I mite up me budget, dont really want to buy second hand. Theres very few in the B+sell anyway. Where else is there to get a 2nd hand one.

I wouldnt mind paying a grand if i have to, ill get me moneys worth and it`ll last for ages sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

rander00 wrote:

I mite up me budget, dont really want to buy second hand. Theres very few in the B+sell anyway. Where else is there to get a 2nd hand one.

You can get second hand from your local gun dealer. i would not recommend buying from buy and sell anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rander00 wrote:
    They may ask to check your gun storage, and AFAIK, you are entitled to refuse (please correct me if I’m wrong here, someone). This will probably change when the Firearms Act gets amended shortly.
    Bear in mind though, that such a refusal will figure heavily in the Super’s deliberations on whether or not you are issued a licence!
    The days of ‘da ould gun behind the door’ are long gone anyway. Whether it’s a legal requirement or not (and it soon will be, in all likelihood), you’d be well advised to have a decent gun safe securely fixed to the structure of your house in any case.
    As E@gle said, every gun dealer in the country has loads of second-hand shotguns.
    I wouldnt mind paying a grand if i have to, ill get me moneys worth and it`ll last for ages sure.
    In our modern consumption driven ‘throw away’ society, guns are one of the few things that truly ‘last a lifetime’ given decent maintenance and care. There are plenty of guns out there that have been handed down through 3 or more generations that are every bit as good as the day they were made. And are probably worth a fair bit more than was originally paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote:
    They may ask to check your gun storage, and AFAIK, you are entitled to refuse (please correct me if I’m wrong here, someone).
    At the moment, this is technically correct - of course, in the real world, as you said, it'd probably be a rather serious black mark against you in the super's mind and he's the one who has the final, unappealable say in whether or not you get the licence, so it wouldn't be a great idea. I've had the local garda out to the house when I was getting my licences initally, but never since, and he called first to say he'd be round. Pretty few gardai are actually rude about this kind of thing!
    This will probably change when the Firearms Act gets amended shortly.
    Yes, it will - from when that amendment comes in (assuming, of course, that it does), you will have to either let the superintendent (or the local garda acting in his name) inspect the safe in situ; or you'll have to provide proof that it exists (an invoice and a polaroid perhaps?). Note, however, that despite the rumours being spread about, this does not mean that the gardai can show up at your home at any time and demand entry to inspect the gun safe! Your privacy is assured in the Constitution, and the Firearms Act cannot overrule it. If the garda shows up at an akward time, you just explain that it is an akward time and make an appointment for later - this isn't, after all, a surprise inspection.
    The days of ‘da ould gun behind the door’ are long gone anyway. Whether it’s a legal requirement or not (and it soon will be, in all likelihood), you’d be well advised to have a decent gun safe securely fixed to the structure of your house in any case.
    Agreed, both for safety (kids in the house and unsecured firearms do not mix well), and to try to dissuade opportunistic burglers (determined ones won't be stopped at all, but they're quite rare - something over 80% of burglaries are opportunistic in nature, apparently).
    In our modern consumption driven ‘throw away’ society, guns are one of the few things that truly ‘last a lifetime’ given decent maintenance and care.
    Indeed. I'd fully expect my rifles to last at least twenty years if maintained properly, and wouldn't be surprised if they lasted longer - the rifle I learnt to shoot on was made in the early 60s, and it's still in use training new shooters today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alan08

ammo cost between €4-€10 per box of 25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Don't rule out a good second hand gun on the auto side of things Beretta 303/302 are retailing about €500. 390/391 around the 850(390)-€1000. Browning gold (€750). Ian Jameson (aim and swing) in Mount Nugent Cavan has a massive selection of semis.

Of course if you want an o/u for the field you cant go wrong with a Baikal, Lanber or Bettinsoli. Good budget starter guns (not cheap guns).

My Baikal goes out with me on the first of november it is an o/u made in 1976 I got it when I was 16. :)

Take your time and think about what you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

If your thinking of getting a shotgun for the coming game season you might be better buying one now than leaving it till christmas by time the license comes through the season will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If everything went allright the chap has allready put a few thousand rounds through his gun. The thread was started in 2004:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

How did that happen???:o
    Must start looking at dates

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I never copped the date.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Rovi wrote: »
    They may ask to check your gun storage, and AFAIK, you are entitled to refuse (please correct me if I’m wrong here, someone).

Never heard of that, I would imagine you might have some problems come renewal time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, you're required to prove you have secure storage. That doesn't require an inspection to be done, you can provide documentary evidence of it. As to whether the Super accepts that (and whether or not he can refuse to accept it), well, that'd be down to the courts to ultimately decide.

But frankly, going to court to settle it just sounds like troublemaking to me. I can't think of a decent reason to not allow a visit from a CPO, given that you get more than just an evaluation of your house for firearms storage out of the deal, you get general anti-burglary advice and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alan08

how much would you think is a good price to pay for a baikal?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Heres an indication for Brand New or Second hand
    Don't have one myself, Alternatively you could ring a dealer and ask.

Advertisement