Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter legality and older cars

Options
  • 14-12-2004 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm driving a '93 car without a cat in it at the moment. Its due its NCT in a few months and I'm wondering will I need to have it put back in for the test even if it passes the emisions test? Whats the legal status on it does anyone know? The nct.ie site has an ambigious one liner on it that doesn't say much about emissions at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can buy the NCT manual from the govt publications office, mine got borrowed :( but I seem to remember that for a lot of retrospective changes they go back to the original manufacturers spec for emissions. So you should not get done because of the design of the engine / exhaust , but you can get done for the state it's in

search the threads for all sorts of patent snake oil formuations that you can add to petrol / engine oil / windscreen wiper bottle etc. to reduce emisssions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC cars produced after Jan 1 1993 had to have cats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kbannon wrote:
    IIRC cars produced after Jan 1 1993 had to have cats
    Thats the rule alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

I got this mail back from the nct folk today, promptly enough which surprised me!

>>Thank you for your e mail. I would like to state that Vehicles registered after >>94 must be fitted with an operational Catalytic Converter. this does
    >>not apply to your vehicle.

Sweet :)

Advertisement